Saturday, September 27, 2014

Kathmandu tour and shopping

Day 2 - Kathmandu


Another amazing day! Feels like I've been here for months now.

Up at 5:15am for dawn wander for chai. Only a handful of us. Was wonderful seeing Kathmandu without heat and crowds.

Chai was great, heard marching drummers, Buddhist singers, saw people starting their day, fruit sellers setting up. And a feral cow wandering placidly through the streets fitting in with the hubbub. Was very tame and asked me to feed her when I paid attention to her. Saw someone touch her then touch his forehead in blessing so she must be worshiped.






Breakfast at posh cafe. Yum! Asian omelette with spicy filling. And great coffee.

Morning - Walking tour with a new guide. Was ok. Too many people in our group, too noisy to hear anything, too hot, too crowded. But saw another temple, different areas of Kathmandu, markets, and royal palace complex. Ali and I ended up trapped in the last king's museum. Only one way out and that was thru the WHOLE museum! I know more than I needed to about him now.

Forgot to have lunch. Oops.

Followed Graham and Margaret on their shopping expedition. Graham bought a Gurkha hat. Margaret bought a cap. I bought a cap. This took three fun hours exploring the different shops and good naturedly haggling with the stall keepers.

Got a somewhat spectacular haircut. Number one all over. Haven't had my hair this short since that time we were moving from NZ to UK and I shaved my head for the rugby.


Took sunset photos on the roof with long lense, looking out to the Monkey Temple and the hills surrounding the Kathmandu valley. Then others found me there and we sat around chatting til dinner time at 7pm.


Dinner identical to yesterday and just as yummy.

Then up to my room to pack, to write and to sleep.

Hotel Rooftop

Looking down from the rooftop to the outdoor dining area

No comments:

Post a Comment