Friday, May 15, 2015

The Thursday with weather chaos in Wellington

Hi,

Happy birthday to Benjamin!

Well, there was a lot of water.  And it filled up everything till it was overflowing.  I got into work relatively unscathed by it all.  But it never stopped pouring with rain for hours.  Wellington just couldn't cope.  At about midday the Hutt River burst its banks somewhere and people started heading home if they lived that way.  It took Rex 2.5 hours to get to the hills just above Petone there.

Eventually I heard that buses were cancelled at Toby's school and they would keep the children there until collected by parents.  Magnus's mother went to collect him and she looked out for Toby.   But he was at swimming.

This was a huge surprise to me.  What swimming?  Turns out swimming has started every Thursday/  Toby borrowed spare togs and drip dried himself.  Good.  He made the dive team too!  Woot!

Anyhow, Aidan was also over there to collect her boys.  So she kindly got Toby too.  He got dropped off at our house and I had pizza turn up to keep him fed.

Meanwhile I ventured cautiously out to get lunch (not far!) and an iced coffee with Rex.  Staying dry was high on my list of wants and needs.


Rain outside work
Mixed Business iced coffee goodness

After work I attended a business networking session to hear about how to listen your way to better leadership.  It was interesting as it was an english interpretation of the brain chapter I am reading at the moment on how your brain makes you behave a certain way.  Flight or fight.  All that stuff.

I liked the science version better.  But, it was interesting enough.

Ange dropped me home and then she bravely took Celia home.  The roads had cleared by then.  Ange has been a trooper for me lately.  I'm pretty lucky to know her.

Mike got home from Christchurch, blissfully unaware of the chaos in Wellington really.  But he did check our roof space immediately.  All good up there.  The rats don't have a swimming pool in the suitcase - yet!

Sally and Andrew also seemed to have got away lightly with their existing roof leaks.  Yay!

This morning my run was lovely.  Not a breath of wind and no clouds at all.  The stars were shining just for me.  And about 3 other runners.  But I'm not counting them.  They shone for me!  And I did close to my PB.  About 4 seconds off.  And so close to going under 30 minutes.  This close!

Misty, still start to the day

 Right.  Time for tea.  And it's Friday!  Woot.  No plans.  Well, not much.  Two movies back to back on Sunday for me.  But apart from that - nothing.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment