Monday, June 29, 2015

The weekend with my birthday weekend with Aidan

Hi,

My week had been very tough and I'd texted Aidan to say as much. She replied on Friday to say the next twenty four hours would improve the situation entirely. I agreed because the weekend was approaching.

Mike and Josh were planning to go tramping and I had a weekend planned with Toby. It did include a pedicure appointment too, which Toby was going to attend and tolerate before fun and games started.
Our Friday night was awesome. Benjamin came to look after Toby and we went out to dinner with work and then an improvisation comedy routine at Bats theatre. I laughed so much. It was great. The accents attempted were hilariously dreadful.

Back home and I dropped Benjamin home before getting to bed and reading lots. I fell asleep at midnight. My book was so good. The sparrow. A great science fiction novel. Fantastic. Recommended by Aidan because she started it and got spooked. She wanted to know about it.

Up early to get ready for my 9 a.m. appointment. Mike was up to finish his tramping preparations. Mike kindly went to get croissants for breakfast. Yum. I waited patiently. When he got back he said he wouldn't start until Toby got up. So I eventually complained to Toby so much he got up.

Toby was up and I got a text from Aidan saying the good things were about to start. I was amazed she knew I was about to eat croissants. What I didn't know was she was about to knock on the front door.
The knock came and I knew Josh was there to collect Mike. I heard him say hello. Then as I stepped into the hallway to see him, Aidan was there. Cool! As I opened my mouth to say hello she said "happy birthday". This barely registered as it was late June and nowhere near my birthday. But her next sentence was "we're off to Picton, get packed". Whereupon my mouth fell open and I stared at her in surprise and astonishment.

Aidan's texts to me, trying to cheer me up without telling me that she was whisking me away to Picton

But the tramping? My appointment? Plans? What?


Everyone knew and had cancelled my appointment. There never was any tramping plans. The packed backpack at the front door and Mike's tramping clothes were all a ruse.

Aidan and Josh had tea while I packed for the weekend. I was ready pretty fast. Pyjamas. Toothbrush. Change of clothes. Then we went to have breakfast at Drexels. Great way to start any weekend. Love breakfasts out.
Then we got dropped at the Interislander ferry. Aidan and I sat in the departure area for a while before boarding. We got two seats looking out the front and starboard side. Settled in for the glorious crossing. No clouds. Slight southerly swell. The harbour was stunning.
Wellington harbour looking as fine as I have ever seen it


Aidan taking a photo on the Picton waterfront
Iced coffee at Le Cafe - Aidan's favourite cafe
Aidan took loads of photos from the ferry. Apart from in the strait where all you see is water. We chatted to three men, two on motorcycles and one American tourist from Chicago. The tourist was a bit hapless. He'd looked at the map of the world, seen how tiny the islands were here and decided he could see everything in 6 days. Ha ha.  Good luck with that itinerary, buddy.  He was heading to Christchurch to see the South Island.  Not sure any of us there rated seeing Christchurch as a taster of the entirety of the South Island.  And we said as much.  Aidan recommended Kaikoura.  I concurred.  Or if he went to Chch, he could take the trans alpine train over the alps.  That would be a good excursion.  But wandering around Chch?  Not so much.

Aidan got me a cup of tea at one point. She asked if I wanted rooibos as she got up. The South African motorcyclist was impressed an American was asking a New Zealander if she wanted a rooibos.  I think Aidan made his day right there!

Getting off in Picton, we walked straight to the cafe Aidan loves. Le Cafe on the Picton waterfront. I had an iced coffee and Aidan had French onion soup. We shared a walnut tart. Off to the bed and breakfast to check in.  We met the owners and they were super friendly.  We got settled in the room.

Feet in the Band B bedroom
I read for a bit before we ventured out. Aidan had shopping in mind but never found what she was after. Apart from a hard copy of Dune. She's got great taste in books.  She did find herself a new hat.  Her old one reminded her of a souffle on her head - according to her.  Not that I thought it looked silly when I saw it.  But this one did look especially nice, so she's done well.

Showing off her new red beret

Wish my legs were this long - I could ride the motorbike I really want, if they were

Feet shot
I tried out my new walking shoes.  I bought them for Nepal.  They worked well.  Super grippy.  I made up that word, didn't I?  But they went through mud easily.  I was so stable.  Hahah.

Walk to Bobs Bay

Oops - hit the button again by mistake and took an inadvertent selfie 
Selfie at Bobs Bay looking south (and yes, I am watching my fingers try to hit the button)

Selfie at Bobs Bay looking north















We decided to do the walk to Bobs Bay. Thirty minutes there and thirty back. The sun was almost gone. We got a great walk in. Never have two people been so pleased to find a toilet at the destination though. Made the walk back a far better prospect.

Back to the accommodation to change shoes then off to dinner at Le Cafe. I had the steak and Aidan had the lamb. Both scrumptious. We left to head to her favourite Irish pub for dessert but they had none. Aidan chewed her way through a Guinness though. We did days and days of the Stuff quiz.  Pretty consistent result.  Usually around 12 out of 15.  Where did Aidan get her knowledge of painters?  She'd see a painting and know who did it.  Freaky talent.  Show me the periodic table and I could tell you the elements.  So, we had art and science covered.  Cool team!

Slurp.  Or is drinking a Guinness more like eating?
Back to the accommodation and bed. I managed to read for only twenty minutes before realising I was half asleep already. Turned out the light, as did Aidan. Asleep in seconds.

Aidan got up at 2 a.m. to check out the facilities. As you do. But this woke me up, unaccustomed as I am to people wandering around in the middle of the night. It took me a wee while to fall back to sleep.  Nice and quiet in Picton in the dead of night.  

Felt great Sunday morning when I woke up so the hour lying in bed at 2am wasn't deterimental. The day was incredible. No wind. No clouds.  Frost everywhere.  Aidan made tea in our room and eventually I tried the shower out. I went downstairs to wait for Aidan at breakfast. She came down and gingerly sat at the breakfast table. Turns out she'd just lain her clothes on the bed, bending over slightly, and her back spasmed and now she was super sore. Oh no.

Breakfast.  Aidan was cold.

I got her some fruit and yogurt to start. We chatted to the owners. We got scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Yum. Back upstairs to clean teeth and walk to the ferry. I carried Aidan's bag as she slowly negotiated the terrain between the B and B and the ferry terminal.

Walking to the ferry

As we waited in departures, she lay on the carpet. Not good. She took pain relief and sea sickness tablets. The things she does for a weekend with me. I'm very appreciative. But for her this is way better than flying anywhere. Which she hates with a passion. Well, she could have done without the back complaint, I guess.

We got a wee sofa to herself so she could lie down. We read most of the way back. Interrupted by tea trips and hot chips trips to the food court.

Stretching the back out on the ferry
Another wonderful crossing. Calm. The time passed quickly. Josh met us at the other end and I got dropped off home.

The boys were pleased to see me. Mike went into work to get stuff done. I watched a movie with Toby. We ate Indian takeaways. Yum.

Off to bed. Slept like a log really. Listened to podcasts as we got into bed. Never heard hardly any of them. Fell asleep in seconds I think. I'll have to listen to them all again.

I loved my surprise weekend. It was incredible. Aidan did so well. Mike and Josh ran a smooth operation. Toby knew and never said anything. His instructions were to run interference if I planned anything elaborate with him.
Yep. Astonished. And just what I needed after my week. I'll remember it for a long time. We had the best weather. And I had the best company anyone could ask for. Perfect. Shame Aidan's memory of the weekend will have back pain associated with it.

It was also my mother's birthday yesterday. I hope she gets my present today. Fingers crossed.

July isn't far away. School holidays start next week. For three weeks. Still trying to plan those. I have the last week off. I might take Toby to the lodge for skiing.

Have a fantastic week ahead. Hope your weekend was as good as mine. But it can't have been. As my weekend was the best.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment