Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The weekend with Matiu/Somes and three days off

Hi,

What a greet weekend.  Up early Saturday to get some groceries for the weekend and collect my DoC permission form from the printer at work.  Mike dropped me off in town and I bought tickets on the ferry for me and Christine before meeting her at Bin 44 on the waterfront for breakfast.  Yum.  I got eggs Benedict with feta and avocado.  Scrumptious.

Breakfast at Bin 44

Celia and James also made the ferry and spent a few hours out on Matiu/Somes with us.  We were with a group of parents with young kids in the Whare kiore to inspect our bags for stowaway pests.  We were all good.  No rats along for my trip.

We had the Forest and Bird House booked for our weekend ($200 a night - booked back in early March).  Turns out it was just me and Christine as everyone else pulled out.  But I was happy.  We had a cup of tea and then walked around the island.

James and Celia with a view of Wellington

A DoC hut overlooking the lighthouse

There was a model of a DoC hut with a visitors book.  It overlooked the lighthouse and looked lovely.

The grey of the harbour was spectacular.  I love this shade of grey.  It's a special colour.

Looking right out through the harbour from this viewpoint

Christine jumps for joy

After our strenuous walk (not!) we went back for afternoon tea.  Had a great cheeseboard that we made a huge dent in.  Celia and James left to catch the 3.10pm ferry back and Christine and I kicked back and enjoyed the delights of the house.  Well, I snuggled under a blanket on the couch and slept.  Christine read.

Back for cheese!


We left at 1800 for a walk to find penguins.  We made a good call and headed to the wharf.  We saw 8 penguins.  Two on the road on the way down that Christine almost played football with as they froze as we approached and Christine never saw them until she was almost on top of them.  Next time we need red torches.

Dinner

Back to the house and I made dinner (salad) and the heat pump came on (yes - a new fangled thing!  From 6pm - 10pm).  The place was toastie pie warm.

We went to bed pretty early though.  And I slept well.

Up the next morning and I tried the shower.  Perfectly warm.  Solar heating makes all the difference.  We cleaned up and left after eating crumpets for breakfast.

Looking towards Eastbourne

Sunday lunch was at Vivienne's house and we caught up with everyone.  Lunch was lovely, as usual.
Back home and a few tasks around the house.  Mike and Toby had tidied the laundry - you don't need to jump over things to get in there anymore.  Wow.  What a difference that makes.

Monday was Queens Birthday so we had a lazy start to the day.  I grabbed Toby and we went to visit Andrew.  Sally is away for two weeks in Manila for work.  I collected feijoas and got pies for lunch.  Mmmm.  Good pies.

Ironing through the afternoon.  Boring!  And then we all went to see San Andreas.  Loved it!  Great movie.  Just like real life in Wellington.   Well, I guess it could be, one day.  But it was wonderful, apart from its attempt at a plot.  No need for that!  Great special effects.  Hoover Dam broke loose.  Wow!  Golden Gate Bridge got hammered by a tsunami.  Yep - amazing movie to watch.  So long as you can suspend disbelief, it's all good.  And what's with Kylie Minogue being in the movie.  I never recognised her at all!  Hahah.

Back home to head to bed.  Slept well and up for a run.  It was pouring with rain but it stopped as I stepped outside.  Woot!  My calf played up again though.  So it was a slow run.

Short week!  Roll on the weekend!  Yay!

Toby has two days off and Mike's mother is looking after him today.  Nice.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment