Monday, March 7, 2016

The weekend with dragon boating

Hi,

Well, it turns out that dragon boating race day is so much fun that it gives me a reason to look forward to next summer.  I loved it so much.

Friday night Isaac arrived for his weekend stay.  I was busy getting my gear ready for the race day the next day.

Up early Saturday and Mike dropped me off at Macs Brewery where our tent was out on the concrete in front.  We were all very excited about the big day.  The day was mostly clear, and warm enough.  But a big swell meant Celia had her work cut out for her with the trim of the boat.  The organisers had their hands full with seven capsizes during the day.  They reduced boats to 16 paddlers for one race (I missed out) and then rest of the day it was 18 paddlers.  Celia was re-jigging the boat constantly.  She did well.  We never capsized!

Sunning between heats

My singlet

Lining up for a race

Jumping into the harbour fun!

After our last heat, a few of us jumped into the harbour.  That's me, climbing out up the ladder.  My ears are full of water now though.  it was quite high - and I only jumped from the first position.

We came third, two seconds and a first in our heats.  Made it to the grand final.  Capsizes meant we were delayed a fair bit for our race.

The big race was such fun.  I was very excited.  We did our fastest time on the day in the final.  As it should be.  But we came fifth - but only by half a boat length from the second place finishers.  It was a tight final.  Results are here:  Results

Toby had a party organised so I had to head home.  I was looking ta a walk with my huge bag, but Mike got a hold of Aidan and she kindly came and collected me from the waterfront and drove me home.  I'm a lucky woman because by that stage my sports bag was feeling pretty heavy.  It might not have been super comfortable by the time I walked home.  Thanks Aidan.

There were 9 13 year old boys in Toby's room.  We gave them pizzas and chips and they watched stupid schlock horror movies.

Next morning I was up early to go grocery shopping to get them some breakfast.  Then off to archery with Ange!  First time shooting for me for about 6 weeks.  I had such fun.

Caffiend iced coffee after archery

I did ok for my first time back for ages


Back home and Mike had a neighbours BBQ at our place.  We chatted for a while to Brendan and then Arthur and Barbara.  I then took Isaac home and popped in to see Ange for a cup of tea.

The day disappeared in a blur, really.  But I am free of dragon boat commitments, and triathlons.  Time to start training for Round Taupo.

Good morning Wellington!

This morning I took the bus into work with Toby. Mike has every second Monday in Auckland and left for the airport super early this morning.

I have a school information meeting tonight.  And it's Christine's birthday today - so I hope to pop in to see her.

Have a wonderful week ahead.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment