Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Good morning on Tues, Jun 8

Hi,

What a lovely long weekend - Mike and I were so productive.  We crossed off many of our outstanding tasks and think three-day weekends should be far more regular.  The poor weather helped a lot.  The police say the road toll of 1 for the whole country was a reflection of their zero tolerance on speeding.  I think it was the poor weather kept most people tucked up cosy at home.

Friday night we met the Lewises and went to see Robin Hood at the movies in Courtney Place (Reading).  The verdict was mixed - ok, but could do better was probably the main comment.  We went to Grand India (or is that "Great"?) for dinner afterwards and the place was packed.  We had a lovely meal and then John dropped me and Mike home.  Mike was wedged into the back seat and had to roll out of the door when we got home.  Their interior light will also never be the same.  I think it was crushed into powder.

Saturday morning was a lazy morning and the sky was a strange colour - blue!  Toby had slept over at Grandy and Gramps's house on Friday night (and was no doubt spoiled well, with lots of attention) and was enjoying his stay.  We took lunch over and played PS2 games (and Singstar - oh no - hold on!  That was just me doing the Singstar!!) for ages.  Mike was trying to get some work done, and my dulcet tones weren't helping.  I wonder why not?  ;-)  So we went home and Mike got stuck into his new project (running webs on a Linux machine, using Apache) and Toby and I watched TV. 

Then we tucked up into bed after dinner (Burger Wisconsin because we hadn't had it for ages) and Toby and I watched "Honey I shrunk the Kids".  We both really enjoyed it.  We watched it as Karen had mentioned she watched it with her kids a few weeks back and it went down a treat.  Toby cried when "Anty" died though.  He was saying "But it is Walt Disney, how could he die?" through his sobs.  This may have been exacerbated by Merlot lashing out at him a little earlier when Toby gave a belly laugh as Merlot lay on his chest.  She got what for!  And then Toby cried at the shock of the reaction from Merlot.  The movie was a rollercoaster of emotions.  Who knew?

Sunday dawned rainy and cold again.  Toby slept in till 9am!  Wow!  We got ready and wandered into town for Yum Cha.  We collected Vivienne on the way in and got a big table for everyone.  Sally and Andrew, and John, Christine and Tom.  So it was a big social brunch.  Then Sally and Andrew dropped me and Vivienne off after perusing Whitcoulls for a while.

Wee Tom came to stay for the afternoon and his first sleepover at our house.  He was very good.  Toby was good with him.  He kept him out of any trouble and helped him if he thought he needed it.  Tom is an early riser though.  5.30am.  Groan.  We told them it was too early and got another 30 minutes out of them before Mike gave in and put Cartoon Network on.  Then we got another hour out of them.  Then Toby brought Tom upstairs and made him breakfast (a big bowl of cornflakes), came in and asked us what we wanted (he asked me if I wanted toast, but I was too scared to think of him playing with electricity on his own so I asked for a small bowl of rice bubbles) and then I got breakfast in bed.  A big bowl, with a little rice bubbles, on a breakfast tray.  Mike got the same, but with Weetbix (and a small plastic spoon as we heard a plaintive cry of "We've run out of spoons" from the kitchen).

Mike and I were very impressed with Toby.  The kids played downstairs again and Mike caught up on a bit more sleep.  John came over to collect Tom (and we have since found Tom's socks and toothbrush) and we settled in to read and work on outstanding items (we booked our ski trip in the second week of school holidays and bought Toby's ski jacket to replace his one we bought when he was 3 years old!  After lunch the Tabors dropped in to say hello and Toby had a ball playing with Duncan and Emerson for the first time in ages.  We need to arrange a sleepover for them!

Then, in the afternoon, Mike and I finally moved the bookcase in the lounge to its rightful place.  Makes the room look bigger, I think.  Mike finished his Paua Hut trip report (in the blog) and we got dinner ready.  Toby had an early night after his sleepovers and he went to bed really well.

I have decided to ride through the foulest weather in pursuit of better fitness leading up to our ski week and left this morning with cold, fat drops of rain starting to pelt down.  What was I thinking?  However, the rain stopped 2 kms into my journey and it was just the cold that hit me.  My fingerless gloves are getting the flick tonight when I get home.  I seem to have an earache as well.  It hurt a little this morning at home and when I got to the bottom of the hill, I got shooting pains.  Hopefully it disappears.

Have a great short week here in NZ, and enjoy the long weekend coming up in Aus.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment