Monday, June 24, 2013

The weekend with a bike ride to Masterton in dire weather

Hi,

What an incredible weekend.  I am so pleased that Andrew is happy to join me on crazy ideas, and motivates me as well.  Friday evening is was still atrocious weather so Mike and I took the bus home.  We got Indian and ate while watching some documentary.  Then we packed for the weekend, went into town to collect Andrew and my mountain bike and headed to Whites Line for the night.  Crashed on the floor in the lounge and may or may not have had the heat pump on all night.  I actually think Mike turned it off, but it was certainly toastie pie warm.

Up early enough to get ready.  Turns out there was no milk so I voted for Maccas for brekkie.  Mike kindly took us up to Upper Hutt (where I ate my McMuffin) and dropped us off at the start of the mountain bike track.  The wind had died down and the rain was only light drizzle.  Mind you, it did rain for the rest of the day!

The Tunnel Gully ride was great fun - the sort of ride we can do with Toby.  There is a shortish tunnel to get through and a short stint on tarseal before getting to the bottom of the Rimutaka Incline.  We hardly saw anyone, but my surprise was really seeing anyone at all.  A man exercising his dogs on a wheeled sled (Andrew says it's a sport! What???), a couple walking in so much wet weather gear I don't think they could hardly see, and on the other side of the hill, another couple walking their dog and a man on a MTB with his dog.

We rode up to the top and took a photo.  I look like a drowned rat already.

I'm wet!

Andrew looks staunch
Through the big tunnel at the top and through two smaller tunnels on the way down.  And through a stream that was quite fast and deep.  Had to carry my bike and get even wetter feet.  Oh, hold on.  It probably wasn't possible to get any wetter by that stage.

The other side was downhill all the way.  Took 2 and a quarter hours to get to the carpark.  Not too bad considering it was a stream on the way down over the path.  Surprised two goats although they were probably eyeing me up carefully as Andrew had chased them for 100m down the path before I got to them!  Hahahah.

Rode out for a few kms down the road before Mike, Sally and Toby drove past us.  They had hot cup of soup for us.  What heroes!  I ate an entire OSM and a cup of soup, switched to the road bike and we were off.  Rode to Featherston and then the 18 km to Martinborough.  Kept riding to Masterton.  The rain was sometimes a bit heavier, but it was pretty constant.  Andrew was freezing as he had to ride at my more sedate pace rather than his manic pace.  Mike met us right beside Stonehenge Aotearoa and we gratefully had another cup of soup.  An hour later we were riding into the hotel grounds.  The Copthorne at Solway Park.

Pretty damp


Sally spotted us and helped us in.  She had just started two baths running in each of our rooms.  So nice!  I could hardly get in though as I was so cold and the bath felt like it was fire!  Ended up under the shower.  Mike had found me lunch so I ate int he cafe overlooking the pool where Toby was reliving his holiday with Grandy a few years back.  He loves it at this place.

It took me 50 minutes to stop shivering.  Andrew fixed that by staying in the bath for an hour!  Hahahah.

Toby with the dice from the claw machine
Janne and Toby
Pre dinner drinks

Breakfast!


Watched Toby swimming for a few hours.  Aidan and Janne arrived and joined him in the pool.  Then back to the room to relax before tea in the restaurant there.  Very nice.  Watched the rugby afterwards and went to bed and slept like logs.

Next day was a lot nicer weather-wise.  Huge cooked breakfast and then Andrew and I were off.  We rode 50 km to Martinborough via Gladstone.  Lovely rolling hills at the southern end of the ride.  We got there for lunch and enjoyed an antipasto plate.  I hopped in the car and Andrew did another 18 km to Featherston before we all went in the car over the hill.

Back home to do some housework and get ready for the week.  What a fabulous time!

Let's do it again!

Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment