Monday, December 30, 2013

The five days off with Christmas!

Hi,

After five days off I can barely remember what happened.  It was such a nice break although the weather in Wellington has been a bit wet.  Apart from Christmas Day itself.  So, I shouldn't complain at all.  If you ever want a nice day, Christmas Day is it.

Christmas Eve was lovely, if wet.   I was working and had to do a full day.  None of this part time lark for me.  I met Aidan and went grocery shopping at Thorndon New World around 11am (her work let her do a part day).  She had to get her Christmas Day stuff and although I had done 95% of mine the night before, I also grabbed a few things.  Aidan found the whole experience stressful.  I loved it!  I like grocery shopping - it's not really a chore for me.  Well, look at the alternative chores.  Ironing?  Boring!  Laundry?  Tedious.  Luxing?  Yawn.  At least with grocery shopping I get to drive there and back and walk around while I'm there!  The rest of the shoppers were also on a mission.  I got a box of cherries, so Christmas Day could dawn and we'd be sorted.  Josh rang while Aidan was shopping and almost done and Aidan's response to Josh was that she could be put out of her misery there and then.  Fortunately, this conversation was occurring in the wine aisle, so Aidan perked up a bit selecting the wine for Christmas.  Well, perked up enough to get her through the checkout without a complete meltdown.  She's rather well restrained - you'd hardly know she wasn't having fun.  Honest!  She probably smiles at the dentist when he approaches with a massive needle.

Anyhow, Aidan eventually got her shopping in the car and went home to drop off my things and collect Duncan and Emerson from their sleepover.  I took the chance to stock her pantry with the tea I like and a jar of Marmite (for emergencies).  I think the Marmite has found its way into our pantry.  Never mind.

Toby was very excited Christmas Eve.  Santa was biding his time for the right moment to visit and fill his stocking.  Mrs Claus was dead to the world.  Pretty sure the boys put a Christmas movie on and it sent me into an instant coma.  Mike and Toby made sure Santa was watered and fed and Toby left a note out.  I really did not know anything about this.  I was dead to the world.  Working Christmas Eve must do that.
Toby's letter to Santa with carrots nearby

Christmas Day was lovely and Toby was up at 5.30am.  Oooohhh.  A bit early even for me.  We convinced him to sleep in for a bit longer, snuggled up with us.  But he kept waking up and mumbling Merry Christmas.  So excited.  I got up to make a coffee for Mike and when I got back to the bedroom, Toby had found his stocking and opened his presents from Santa.


We went upstairs and opened presents and had a good time.  I got two new wheels for my road bike and some tyres and tubes and a bike stand to use to work on the bike.  And a bike bag for my 160km races so I can eat continuously.  Mike thinks I shouldn't stop!  Hahahah.  I also got a CD from Toby of my favourite songs (with one of his favourites on it).  It's great!  I even took the Christmas carols off and put  that on, it was that good!

Mike and I made the starters for lunch and we piled into the car and headed out to Sally and Andrew's house.  The day was lovely.

So sunny!

Toby and Benjamin got their own table.  Not too sure what Benjamin thinks of that now.

Desserts were amazing!


Caught up with loads of family.  The food was scrumptious and I sat for hours eating constantly.  Didn't realise until I finally got up to move.  Mmmmm.  Yum!

We stayed for a while and eventually had to wander home, completely stuffed with yummy food.  The boys decided to try out Toby's new sleeping bag by sleeping on the deck.  It was all going well until 2am when it started raining.  So the boys crept into the lounge and Toby slept on the couch and Mike snuggled up next to me (yes, I was sleeping on a Therm-a-rest on the floor inside - no deck for me!).

Boxing Day was a lazy affair.  The weather came right after lunch and stayed nice for the rest of the day.  Mike and I tried to put the new wheels on my road bike but unfortunately our enthusiasm was greater than our knowledge.  I am now waiting for two new parts to replace the ones we have accidentally bonded to each other and now cannot come off the existing wheel.  In the meantime, I can ride my commuting mountain bike as usual.  My new bike stand is doing sterling service holding my wheel-less road bike.

Friday I took off work and that was also pretty lazy.  The weather didn't help as we have had almost constant drizzle.  It's warm though.  Sticky.  Yes, I recall next to nothing of this day.  Hahahah.

Saturday we went into town and visited Te Papa.  We went to see the Aztec exhibition and I was very happy immersed in all things archaeological.  Toby loved it too.  Managed to get a trip to Joe's Garage in there too.

Photo bomb from the Tobster

First Joe's Garage iced coffee for a while and it reminded me of how good it is.


We used the new barbecue in anger this evening.  Cooked a leg of lamb and it was the most wonderful leg of lamb I have had in a long time.  Moist.  Perfect.  Mike loves his charcoal BBQ.

Needs more attention at the start than the old gas BBQ.  But worth it, declares Mike


Sunday saw us going to the Embassy to watch Gravity in 3D.  What an awesome movie.  Loved it.  I was squirming in my seat willing Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to just grab onto anything!  George didn't listen to me.

Off to Bella Italia with Sally and Andrew for some lunch and then we picked up Sally's treadmill.  What a cool Christmas present.  She test drove it and it's perfect for some Kindle reading while walking.  Choice!  Wonder if I can read the Kindle while using Andrew's static bike trainer?  Hahahah.

In the evening we met Jackie and Aidan and had tea with them while Benjamin looked after Toby and William (the two boys had been the see Hunger Games Catching Fire, but Toby disliked the cliffhanger ending).  Capitol was as good as ever (I enjoyed the zucchini risotto a lot).  Then we went off to see The Hobbit in 2D for a change from the 3D version we saw a few weeks back.  Liked the 2D one too - saw different things.  Amazing what a difference that makes.

Monday saw me back at work.  Nice ride in and looking forward to the ride home.

We're off to Ruapehu for New Years, leaving tomorrow morning.  We have two cars, as I need to come back on Thursday for work on Friday.

Love,
Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment