Monday, December 2, 2013

The weekend with the Taupo challenge - 160 km

Hi,

I had Friday off to get away early to Taupo. Trouble with my cunning plan was that Mike never got that memo despite a conversation about him coming up later so Toby got to go to school. So I left home at 8 am in the Corolla and Mike left at 4.30 with Toby in the MX-5.

I had a lovely drive up. Music on. Just me in the car. Great fun. I sing so much better when there's just me in the car. Ha ha.

I got to Taihape a few minutes after Sally and Andrew in their wee white car. Had a coffee with them and then bought some bananas and Rooibos from the New World before continuing to Taupo.

I found the house eventually. 16a Tui St. Awesome house. Mike and I got the double bed with the single bed in there. It had an ensuite too. Choice. Richard and Suzie arrived not long after.

Mike and Toby were stuck in the worst traffic ever.  It took three hours to get to Levin. Crazy. Turns out there was a car accident. It meant Mike and Toby didn't get in until 11.30.  Meanwhile Andrew and Sally and I registered for the event and found some lunch at Replete (nice cafe - good iced coffee).  When I finished I remembered I had parked in the 30 minute zone and that was about 90 minutes ago so I took off.  Car was okay.  Phew!

Iced coffee at Replete

Iona came to visit and she kindly said I could ride with her. I was so pleased to be with someone that knew what they were doing. She likely would stop off at licorice cafe on the way (forty kms from the end) and she suggested we start in the 6am group. Sounded perfect.
Number on my bike

Meanwhile Sally cooked up scrumptious macaroni cheese with bacon (and another lot with red onion for Suzie who is vegetarian). We ate tea and I put some aside for breakfast. Carbo loading.

I had a restless sleep because I was so excited. I did doze okay though. I woke easily when Mike and Toby got in. Back to sleep quickly though. But awake well before my alarm at 4.30.  I wanted to eat early so my stomach was settled before the 6am start time. Worked a treat. Ate macaroni cheese and a banana. Drank water. All good.

Had my electrolyte bottle and my water bottle. Two bananas. One OSM (which I didn't eat) and two Lemon Zippys. Two Gus (which I also didn't suck down - they taste so yucky I couldn't face them).

It was before dawn when the race began. Iona and I were in the front row. 160 in our wave. They counted down and we were off.  This was a special wave for slow people that they were trying for the first time. They took us on the relay route so it was different to the route I did with Andrew six weekends back. But I quite liked it. More of an up and up rather than up and down.

Iona was faster than me on the first half. I haven't had a lot of experience with races and figuring out how much energy I can put in to get around at maximum speed. Got a lot to learn. She would let me catch her up.

About twenty minutes into the race I had my first helpful suggestion from a passing cyclist about my noisy bike. But he was the first of many, many comments. Some people got to recognise my bike approaching. Oh, 1270 is coming again, one woman said. I played tag with a few people off and on.

The support stations were amazing. The volunteers were so friendly and filled bottles and offered water or electrolyte and took away rubbish. Even had bananas at one or two places.

Iona and I stopped a few times. Toilet stops. A spot of food here and there. Mike was watching me on Glympse (a GPS app that my phone sends him so he can watch where I am on a map) and he texted me that I hadn't moved for minutes and minutes and to get going! Cheeky thing!

At one point here a wee bunch passed me and I heard one chap tell his mate about asking her if she had a beer in there. And how she'd replied yes and he could have one if the price was right. When Iona got to me next I asked and she said sure enough, he'd asked her that.

After about ninety kms I started to feel pretty good and started trying to go faster. I didn't touch my brakes going down the awesome hill into Tokaanu. Had a ball. Got passed by someone wearing Intergen gear on the downhill near the bottom.

I made it into Turangi forty minutes faster than when I rode with Andrew those weeks back. So happy.  As a huge surprise Mike and Toby were waiting here and shouted encouragement at me (and Iona).  Lucky I felt okay here because the wind started to make its presence felt after Turangi. We started riding into a strong headwind. It is flat on this bit and I was actually quite enjoying it.

Only about 30 km to go!


Iona wanted to stop at the cafe and it was tempting to stay and drink an iced coffee. But I munched my last banana and left her there, waiting for Col. She also had my jacket but the light drizzle from the morning was well and truly gone. So she kept it (and sensibly handed it to Col).

I stopped a kilometre from Hatepe hill and had water, electrolyte and my last lemon zippy. I got up the hill, filled my water bottles at the top at the last support station and started the last twenty kms into Taupo.
By this stage I was keen to finish before eight hours. The wind was strong now though and I had to pedal even on downhill sections. Buffeted around a bit.

Mike and Toby shouted encouragement again about one km out from the finish line. I was so happy when I crossed the line. It felt really good.  I stopped my stopwatch at 7 hours and 49 minutes.  Pretty happy to get under  8 hours for my first time.  I hopped off my bike and rang Mike. We found each other and we walked home.  My barefeet were getting blisters on the hot footpath, so I eventually hopped back on my bike and rode to Tui house.  Caught up with Andrew and his massive day (he went around twice.  Yes, twice!!  320km).  Richard did it in under 5 hours for his first time.  Wow!


160 km

7 hours 49 minutes


My front sprocket gave me a nice greasy mark on the back of my calf.  When Andrew saw it, he suggested I get it as a tattoo (yes, he was joking, Ma, don't panic).  Mike took it a step further and had a design blended in with a silver fern.  Nothing would ever possess me to get a tattoo in a hundred million years.

Tattooed with a sprocket


We popped around to see Iona and Col and chatted to their friends as well.  Then back and Suzie cooked tea and it was beautiful.  Marinated chicken with couscous and salads.  Then I admit to falling asleep around 7.30pm.  And I woke at 7.30am.  Hahahah.  Yes, my body needed a bit of sleep.

On Sunday morning Mike got a migraine.  It meant he didn't want to drive home and we had two cars.  So Andrew kindly volunteered to drive the wee green car home.  Toby and I stayed in Taupo and had breakfast and did some shopping.  Toby loves Taupo.  Wants to live there now.  We left there at about 11am and joined the many cars driving back into Wellington.  Long drive.

Hot chocolate came with a shot of chocolate sauce

Vine eatery iced coffee was okay

Toby waiting for his hot chocolate

Yes, the sun is shining.  Yes, it is a bit cold but I'm staunch


Toby went swimming with Will when we got back.  And I did my ironing for the week.  All good.  Mike is okay after his migraine.  Poor chap.

I absolutely loved the race and I can't wait for next year.  I am already planning my attack now.  It involves a lot more training and some bunch riding so I can draft off a group of riders all the way around instead of working for every kilometre myself.  Especially if it's that windy again.

Can't wait!  Can't wait!  Thanks to everyone for helping.  Mike and Toby for driving through hundreds of cyclists to shout at me halfway along.  Sally for supporting us all with great food and Andrew for supporting me with hours of slow training.  Richard and Suzie for their support at the weekend.  Iona for riding with me and giving me a lot of confidence.  And loads of friends that let me know they were thinking of me.  How kind.

My ride in this morning was good - nice and dry here.  But I did notice I was lacking a bit of energy on some of the wee hills.  Maybe I did do something at the weekend?  Hahahah.

Have a great week!
Love,
Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment