Monday, July 7, 2014

The weekend where my belief system was thrown into doubt

Hi,

The title of the blog may be subject to Gilberting.  Friday night it was just me and Toby so we watched a fine cheesy romance and it had to be American in light of it being July 4th.  I can now say that Toby has seen Dirty Dancing and he gives it a solid 6 out of 10.  Which is a pretty good rating for a romance from an 11 year old boy.  Hahahah.

During the day I did get to pop out for lunch with Mike, Rex and Jessub.  I ate apple pie!  And Mike commented I was also a Mum, so it was as American as Mum and apple pie.  Groan!

Rex and I enjoying some fine American dining

Saturday was the nicest day in Wellington.  Glorious.  Toby and I had slow start to the day and then went out to collect Sophie.  We admired her knife holder!  I think Toby thought that was the best thing!

Sophie's knife holder

We went out to see Transformers - Age of Extinction.  They may have died off from boredom.  The movie was unnecessarily long and edited by a 3 year old.  It only got vaguely good in the last 50 minutes.  Anyhow, we had a nice lunch with Sophie and caught up with all her news.  We dropped her home afterwards and hurtled out to Queensgate.  Did some shopping before coming back home.

That night we watched Dumb and Dumber (which I had never seen before).  I think Toby is now a Jim Carrey fan.

Toby stayed up after the movie chatting to his mates and playing an online game.  I fell asleep.  This is why I was awake early Sunday morning and Toby slept in!

Toby slept in until 9.45am!

We went to the Children's Bookshop but discovered it was closed on Sundays.  So we went into Joe's Garage for lunch.  This is where the strong belief system I had was shaken to its very core.  I, of course, had to have an iced coffee.  This is , after all, the best place to get them in the universe (as far as I know it).

Iced coffee - note the lack of a straw

Milkshake for Toby

While Toby nipped out to the toilet I grabbed his straw to finish drinking my iced coffee.  As I slurped up my first mouthful and swallowed some weird sugar crystals that hadn't dissolved, I paused.  I never recalled sugar crystals in my iced coffees here.  I experimentally crunched one up only to discover it wouldn't crunch up.

I investigated further and found glass at the bottom of my iced coffee.  Oh!  I called the waitress over and asked her to send the manager.  He came over and was apologetic and immediately said the meal was free.  I thanked him.  Toby  was amazed that our meal was free.  And then the manager came over with vouchers for four people for a free brunch with drinks.  Wow.  I was impressed at their customer service and determination to put things as right as they could.

My belief in the iced coffee may have been momentarily shaken, but Joe's Garage looked after us extremely well.  I might even have one next time I go there.  Maybe.

Toby went off to see How to Train your Dragon 2 with his friend Sam for his birthday party.  Fortunately Jake was going too and Susan (Jake's mother) dropped Toby off home afterwards.  That meant a few hours at home to get some things done.

When I got home it was still a lovely day.  I had heard from Mike and the mountain was lovely as well.  Two kereru landed on our deck so I took a few photos of them enjoying the sunshine too.

Two kereru on our deck

Toby and I watched Ace Venture Pet Detective before bed.  Yeah, I am not the biggest Jim Carrey fan in the world.

Mike got home at a decent hour and we had a bath where I caught up with his exciting, awesome weekend.  Maybe he'll post some photos later.

Toby is off to Zealandia for the day today.  I hope he likes it.  Then tomorrow he is off to Brisbane for two weeks!

Have a wonderful week.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment