Monday, May 20, 2019

The weekend in Nelson and with Eurovision

Hi,

What a weekend - I need a weekend now to recover from that.  Friday saw Mike and I heading to the rugby.  I had completely forgotten about that, so was woefully under-dressed for sitting in a cold stadium for hours.  But Andrew had a spare scarf and gloves - and they made all the difference.

We met Elly and Doro there and enjoyed a local women's game (Oriental-Rongatai versus Northern United).  It was a close game.  Also watched some men's game - Hurricanes v Jaguares.  The Argentinians made the 'canes look average.  Boom!

Feet enjoy the rugby
Got an Uber home and was asleep before too long.  Mike had to get up at 4.30am to take Andrew to Poads Road.

Andrew's weekend was going to be momentous.  He had a plan to knock off the last 3 spot heights in the entire Tararua Forest Park.  Every.  Single.  Spot.  Height.  He has been to them.  I was with Sally and she heard updates from him during the weekend.  He got the first two fairly quickly - and then had a big push to get that last one.  And he did it.  So amazing.  He must be exhausted today.


Mike got home from dropping Andrew off at 8.15am and Sally arrived not long after to pick me up from home.  We headed to the airport and checked in and found the Koru lounge.  I forgot that is how Sally travels - and so yummy to get some nice food ahead of our flight.

We had an easy flight to Nelson - I had a gorgeous view across the sounds.  Picked up the Yaris hire car from Budget and found our way to our first open house.

It was lovely.  Sunny - good views.  Not quite the access we were hoping to have - but not bad.  Onto the next part of our schedule.

Lunch.

Hahah.

Then - off to 61 Davies.  We met Tracey (Chris' partner) and she introduced us at the house to the listing agent, Karen.  And Anita also met us to have a look around.


That's where we were.  This is at Brightwater - a memorial to Rutherford
Bought this house.

Yep - this one.

Turns out it was a lovely house.  Mike called and we took him through on video Skype too.  Eventually, we decided to make an offer.  Via text - because that is how my brain works.  Why talk to someone when you can text?

Tracey was great fun - and took us through without any pressure.  Karen too, mind you.  And such a gorgeous day to see the house at its best, I reckon.  Tracey bikes and we have made tentative plans to explore some trails at a later date.  She thinks we'd get along great - until the Eurovision interlude Sunday morning (see later in the blog).  Now she suspects I am slightly nuts.

As we drove around the coast road, I saw Skull Island (* not its real name) and thought it would be a great pic for Toby to enjoy.  I asked Sally to take the photo as I drove.

She had some trouble with my phone.

Asked Sally to take a photo of Skull Island.  She looks intense

She's getting there!
Wait - that's a blurry pic of me driving.  Not Skull Island.

No - she took just a photo of me as I drove along.  My hand looks great. 


Ok - Sally says the very top of Skull Island is somewhere in this photo - out the back windscreen.  Enjoy that, Toby!


Sally contorted herself to point the phone out the back window as Skull Island disappeared into the distance behind us.  And took a final photo.  If you do some forensic work on this photo above, you can zoom in and see about 12 pixels that may have captured the very top of Skull Island.

So - there you go Toby!  We saw Skull Island.

Had dinner with Sally and Anita at Parts and Service.  Vege options were limited - but it was tasty enough.

Next morning, was Eurovision!  Momo called us and the three of us (me, Mike and Momo) watched the start together.  Thank you Momo - you made it special.

I had to leave before the end.  No WiFi to stream YouTube anymore.  But Mike kept me updated.  Netherlands.  Well done!

Met Tracey at Devilles to sign for the house.  She thinks I am weird as I had to watch Eurovision for as long as possible using the hotel WiFi before meeting her to sign for a house.  She has no idea how normal I am.  :-p

I am the epitome of normality.  Or so I keep telling anyone that will listen.

Seagulls want my iced latte


Devilles for lunch and brekkie and iced lattes.  The iced lattes generated quite the stir with the staff there.  But whatever they concocted - it was good.

I am a little bit freezing in the shade with my iced latte


Nelson Koru to ourselves - thank you Sally!
 Went to Brightwater to see the Ernest Rutherford memorial.  Then took the car back and checked in.  Ate in koru.  Sorted out Queens Birthday logistics.  Boarded flight to WLG.  Sally and I got stuck in stupid traffic due to road works on the quay trying to get me home.  1.5 hours from the airport to home?  I may as well live in Sydney!

Sunday evening saw us (me and Mike) meeting Janine for Burger Fuel for tea (I had some meatless meat pattie - it was good!) before seeing Dr. Jane Goodall speak at Michael Fowler.

Dr Jane - yes - she was marvellous
It was a bit different to two years ago.  That was more:  this is my life.  This was more:  this is how you should do your bit in your life to make things better for the planet.

Totally eat less meat!

Hahahah.

And she kept slipping in "and less dairy" too - but I was trying to ignore that.

There was a young woman from Paraparaumu College that gave an excellent talk on how she is trying to make change happen.

A band that played chill music.  Trinity something.

And then Jesse Mullagan chatted to Dr. Jane Goodall for another 30 mins or so.

Yep - all good fun.

Went home and fell into bed.  Was hard to get up in the morning.  But got to my PT session where Quentin is trying to get my body stronger.  Then physio, where she said the most flattering line I am ever likely to hear (NOT!).  She said (and this is verbatim):  You are not too horrific.

I heard that, and gave some mirthless chuckle, raised my eyebrows and directed my deadliest side eye  at her as I said:  Really?

She tried to backtrack then when she realised what she had said - but waaaaaaayyy too late for that.

Great.  Not too horrific.  That's a lovely thought to take into my week.

Can the week possibly get any worse than that start?  All up from here then!

Enjoy your week.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment