Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Good morning on Tues, Feb 23

Hi,

And the month of February ticks away - I swear January and February are the fastest months of the year.  Wasn't it just Christmas a few weeks ago?  My birthday seems to come in a rush after the hectic summer holidays and now I stare at the barren 10 months of the year ahead.  I wonder if I could put about a rumour that I was actually born in May or June?

Anyhow - one of my most excellent birthday presents from Mike was a set of shoes, cleats and new pedals for my bike.  Last night Mike put on my new tyres (they have tread unlike the old tyres Mike took off), and my new pedals.  He held the bike while I climbed on and practised trying to put my feet on the pedals.  It wasn't very successful.  I think I scared myself now that I was facing the prospect of using the cleats the very next morning on the ride in.

So, this morning, I had to prepare myself mentally for the new pedal system and face the fact that I was unable to clip in easily.  Toby slept in until 7.45am and then scoffed 3 Weetbix and we hurtled out the door with scooter and bike.  It all went very well.  We were early for school - the scooter makes Toby very fast.  I got a kiss (well, sort of - Toby licked me as I leaned in to get the schmoochy kiss) and I waved goodbye to him.  Then I tentatively wheeled my bike to the road, and clipped in (eventually) my right foot.

Then I was off, and oddly, my left foot clipped in almost immediately.  I kept it in all the way to the lights at Tinakori Road and managed to clip it back in again.  I did it quite a few times on the way in.  It took a few goes once or twice but overall I was happy.  I was pulling my foot out very early on approaches to intersections and lights.  And I was a bit chicken-like about it all.  Booock, booock, boooock. (That's a chicken noise).

By the way, Toby's anal control-freak mother made his entire lunch today.  As Roz pointed out, I saved at least $2 worth of Gladwrap with that move.  But Toby slept in and I thought it was better he get a little lie in than make his lunch.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tuesdays are now homework night.  It's one of our free nights and Toby has three days to do his Monday homework this year.  So, a slightly new routine.  Makes it easier as Monday nights are Kea nights.

Which, by the way, went rather well.  I rushed home with the car after work and collected Toby and his bike.  We picked up Chelsea and her bike and drove to the Scout Hall.  Wally was delayed at work so we got stuck into riding around.  Good fun.  Ryan turned up and we all had a ball.  We drew pictures of the bike of our dreams.  Wally and I reminesced about chopper bikes (with yellow, sparkly banana seat, flag, t-bar gear shifter and expensive price tag that meant Wally and I never owned one) while Toby's bike seemed to have many missiles and lasers.  Chelsea's bike was a meticulous drawing where a bike builder could have used it as a plan.  And Ryan's bike was cool!

That's about it.  Busy.  But all good.
Have a great day!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment