Monday, February 22, 2010

Making lunches

I've put my foot down and said that both Toby and I will make our own lunches. Angela has very kindly been making our lunches for us, but I don't think it's good for me, and I don't think it's good for Toby. It's taken a while, because Toby has been going in with his Granddad for most of the last week, and Angela hasn't quite believed me so I've ended up with two lunches on more than one day. But today was the first day where I've been taking Toby to school, and have had control over his lunch.

Toby really enjoyed it. I really only meant that he'd make his sandwiches, but Angela left everything out for his morning and afternoon snacks too. So we started with sandwiches, and after mulling it over and thinking about marmite, no, honey, no, a huge 4-slice club sandwich with OODLES of honey - Toby decided to make himself a ham and cheese sandwich, which he hasn't had for ages. So he filled his sandwich and then got the gladwrap and cut a generous piece of clingfilm to wrap it in.

Now it was time for sorting snacks, and the first I knew about this was when Toby found the mallowpuffs ('Royales' in Australian English) and promptly stuffed one in his mouth. Why were these out, I wondered? Aha, Toby's lunch box was completely empty. So we got a mallowpuff and again, Toby cut a generous piece of gladwrap for it. Then he got a yakult and insisted on wrapping it with the mallowpuff - 'to keep it cool', you see. Then we found an apricot - and wrapped it in Gladwrap - and some apple - and wrapped it in gladwrap - and some mango slices - wrapped up in gladwrap. I think we weren't supposed to take everything that was on offer, but oh well.

Just as we were just about to go, Toby found another apple and I found him attempting to crush it and make apple juice. So I chopped it up for him and told him he'd need to eat it on the way. But we decided it may's well go into his lunch box as well. I put it into a ziplock bag, but guess what? Toby got another bit of gladwrap and wrapped up the plastic bag. 'Now we know it's sealed', he said.

So lunch prep is definitely going to be a highlight of our mornings from now on. I'm going to have to be organised enough to get us off on time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment