Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Wednesday with nothing for me and tramping club stuff for Mike

Hi,

I rode home via Ngaio Gorge again last night.  It was so windy - and a head wind at that.  At one point at the bottom of the gorge, me and the bike in front copped a gust that blew us off course by almost a metre as we both fought to keep control.  Scary stuff.  Fortunately it was a spot with a decent shoulder to ride along so I wasn't blown into traffic.

Mind you, as I got to the top, I saw a council recycling bag of rubbish lying on the road in front of me.  I saw I could get around it easily without getting into traffic.  But as I approached it to its right, a gust blew the bag right under my front wheel.  I remember thinking I was going to come a cropper.  But my cleats unclipped and I managed to stay upright with this bag wedged under my wheel.  I fished it out and carried it to the kerb and stuck it behind a wheelie bin.  It made my heart beat a bit faster.

Despite the horrid conditions, I got home only a minute slower than the night before.  Can't wait to time it when there is no wind!  Or a southerly!

Mike was out and about, working late and then tramping club to get lodge keys.  The weekend is shaping up to be really awful weather-wise.  Mike is typically grumpy about the Ruapehu gods that hate him.  I told him it was a weekend to relax and eat.  With the slim prospect of some skiing.  Maybe.  The season is looking a bit pants really.  Even Mt Hutt hasn't had snow since mid July.

What else has been happening?  I packed for the weekend (well, me and Toby).  Cooked tea.  Did laundry (being away for the weekend means no laundry done).

I wonder how my parents are getting on gadding about in Alaska and Canada.  I bet they are loving it.  Last time they were away somewhere exotic, they ended up in the middle of a tsunami warning.  It seems they have escaped any natural disasters this time.  They need a smartphone so they can stay in touch while overseas.  I miss their communications.

Have a lovely day!
Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment