Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Tuesday with Jack and a book launch

Hi,

Toby got off the school bus in town and came to work at the same time as his friend Jack turned up.  Jack had two hours free before his mother's book launch at parliament and Toby and Jack enjoyed catching up with each other.  They stayed on level 8 at work while I caught up with work.  I think they had the better deal.

At 1730 we went down to parliament and entered the hall where the book launch was held.  It was packed - but the crown were all milling around at the door end.  So once I had my name tag, I moved well down the other end.  And then I sidled around to be as far away from the throng as possible.  To observe from the sidelines.

Ummmm.  That technique failed miserably.  Jack's mum came over to me and we exchanged some words before - BOOM!  The event started.  And because I was next to her, I reckon I am in quite a few photos.  Peter Dunne opened the proceedings and then came and stood next to me as the evening progressed.  I am sure he has no idea who I am still.  Probably thinks I am a high powered lawyer.

The evening was such fun.  Toby chatted away to Jack and they both had such a good time.

Iced coffee with Rex during the day

Jack and Toby chatting

Outside parliament afterwards

Beehive




The food came around on platters after the speeches.  I think the waiting staff cottoned on to the couple on the side, away from anyone else, who would eat anything you offered them.  If they only had a couple of things left on their platter, they'd come to us.

I got so full - by stealth!  One wee nibble after another.

We said our goodbyes and left.  Mike is promising to take Toby up to visit soon.

Back home and off to bed.

The next morning (this morning) I got a text from Andrew saying he was sorry but he couldn't make the Bike to Work Day with me.  Oooooohhhh!  I had completely forgotten.  So I made lunches and left in a huge hurry and enjoyed the waterfront and a bagel.


Bike to work Day
It was such a wonderful ride into town.  I sat in a truck cab to see what the visibility was like from their perspective.  The answer?  Hopeless!  Their mirrors are so tiny compared to the size of the truck.  And so many blind spots.

Best avoid trucks when you're on a bike.

Then I went into work.  

Should be a good day.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment