Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Tues and Wed in Auckland

Hi,

Happy birthday to Polly for yesterday!  Woot!

Yep - I have been super busy, dashing up to Auckland for work.  And it was busy while I was up there too.  Not a lot of "me" time at all.  Maybe I should run away to Samoa by myself with my Kindle?

Anyhow, Auckland may have been busy, but it was fruitful.  And my work things did all go ok.  I didn't take a lot of photos - apart from photos of my bills so I can claim things back from work.

But on Monday I took Toby to the doctor (and Mike took him again while I was away).  They tried him on a steam nebuliser.  Didn't do a thing except made me crack Darth Vader jokes about Toby being my father.

I am your father!

Anyhow, I was up early Tuesday and off to the airport for my flight to Auckland.  I got a rental car and drove myself to work.  It took an hour.  Guess that's not too bad for 8.30am.

I was hoping to get lots of work done because no one knows me in Auckland, but in fact, I seem to know quite a few people.  But I did get through some work.  And my colleagues had a big lunch for me, which was great!

I eventually left work and checked into the Emerald Inn - which seems awfully like something out of the Wizard of Oz.  But it was perfectly adequate.  I got ready for going out and drove into Devonport.  That took ages.  But I got on the ferry and went into town.

Aidan was up in Auckland for her work and having dinner out with her colleagues.  So I was invited along.  Aidan had gone shopping, and was clutching a new pair of shoes.  She may have been wearing them at some points during the night - but mostly she held them.  Blisters!

Greg, Peter and Louisa were our companions for the evening.  And a great Japanese restaurant for the 5 of us.  Although it was closed when we got there, so Greg took us to play darts.  iDarts.  Electronic dartboard.  Crazy.  None of us was any good.  Random being the winner on the night.


Walking up Hobson St

But the Japanese food was great.  Aidan took incriminating photos of anyone game enough to suck the inside of this huge prawn-like thing.  I look a bit manic!  But it tasted fine!

Eating the insides of some unidentified crustacean


Aidan had bought new shoes in her wandering around Auckland before I got anywhere near the town.  Of course, it caused blisters.  Her solution was to take her shoes off and walk all the way down Queen St to the ferry terminal in her barefeet.  Didn't worry me too much.  But she reckons it is rebellious behaviour for Americans as barefeet is frowned upon.


From there we walked back to the ferry and caught it over.  My car was perfectly fine and I drove back to my motel and worked for a bit before bed.



Aidan reveling in her rebelliousness

Up super early to avoid traffic.  Auckland is mad!  The traffic is impossible.  I had breakfast near the harbour and then waited until the clients turned up and opened their office.

Feet relaxing by the harbour before the session

I have my tea - I am ready
 The session went fine.  Who knew I could talk for 4 hours?  Well, turns out I can.

From there (2pm) I drove to Newmarket to meet another client and scored an iced coffee in the cafe under her building.  Mmmmm.  Pretty good too.

Iced coffee at Brioche in Newmarket
Drove to the airport, dropped the car off and sat at the gate for my flight.  Aidan and her colleagues turned up and they got both of us into koru.  I chatted to Christine for a while after they caught their flight and then I flew home.

Taxi home, change to the other car, and collected Toby from Aidan's house.  Josh had a successful night presenting at the tramping club!

Slept well.  Nice ride in this morning!

Toby is still coughing.  Not sure what is going on there.

Have a great day.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment