Monday, July 27, 2015

The weekend with a Wellington focus

Hi,

Wow - it felt a little odd to have a relaxing weekend in Wellington.  Hahah.  Turns out there was stuff on to look at.  Wellington was celebrating 150 years as the nation's capital.  Woot!  There was loads on in town, and we did get to see some of it.

Friday after work saw Ange pop in for an evening of chatting.  Mike and Ange were in the mood for long talks.  Eventually the long working week (two days!) caught up with me and I was lying on the couch, drifting off a bit. But I was listening to them.  It was just past my bedtime,  Hahah.  I drove Ange home and then back home for a comatose sleep.

Saturday Mike went out to work in the morning and I drove up to Paraparaumu to do a 7km run with Mary from work.  We ran up the Waikanae river right next to her house.  It was a stunning morning.  The river was beautiful.  I did the run in just under 44 minutes.  Yay.  We have a 10 km run coming up soon.  Mary wants to do it in under 1 hour.  I think I will aim for 1 hour 10 minutes.  Hahah.

I got home and Mike got home from work not long after me.  He had a brochure from the 150 celebration so we lined up some stuff to do.

As we drove to Repco to get a replacement light bulb for our car headlight, Aidan called.  We arranged to meet at Parliament later for the light show and concert.  Yay!  A plan.  Of sorts.

The Te Papa off site storage was open to visitors, so we queued up and just managed to get in before the shut the doors for the day.

Shackleton's sled!  Wow!

We saw loads of tanks for specimens filled with alcohol.  We had to turn off cellphones in case we ignited the air.  Wow.  They have a new colossal squid.  We got to see it!

We saw Ernest Shackleton's sleds.  Made from bamboo.  We saw loads of bones and old furniture.  It was rather fascinating.

Look, dear!

Waiting for Mike

From there we went straight to the Beehive for the light show and Dave Dobbyn concert.  Aidan had staked a place with her blanket and we all sat on that and ate pizza Mike kindly went to buy for us.  And drinks too!  Good on him.  Mike took the boys away (they were bored) and Aidan and I stayed for the concert and light show proper.
Light show at the Beehive

My feet and Aidan's in the background

Birthday candles on the Beehive


Can anyone guess whose foot is whose?  Hint - mine are always stunning.  Aidan's are ok, but mostly functional.  Honest!
At one point we did a selfie and then a foot selfie.  It was a bit cold to take off footwear, so we probably got quite a few odd looks.  And if you look carefully in the photo above, you can see the Southern Cross pointers.  I love this photo.

Selfie while lying down
Aidan also took a selfie of us lying down.  It was weird because we were surrounded by people standing up.  So all we could see was a whole heap of chins above us.

Anyhow, we enjoyed ourselves, and although the weather was spectacular for a July evening, it was cold.  We huddled under the blanket and any time Aidan moved too far from me, I hauled her back.  The only part that stayed warm was the part closest to her.

Aidan dropped me home and collected her boys.  We watched a movie (Mortal Kombat - groan).  Then I slept the sleep of the dead.

Sunday was a bit more lazy.  I was supposed to tidy lots.  The bathroom and laundry got done.  But not a lot else.  Magnus came over.  Mike went to work.  I did finish my book.  Hahah.

We had tea after Magnus went home and Mike got back.  We watched a documentary together on some bank heist in London in 1975.  Funny.  Different times.

Today is Toby's first day back at school after his three weeks off.  I hope he has a great day.

Love,
Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment