Monday, August 15, 2016

The weekend with some skiing, finally

Hi,

Wow - this snow is the best since 2007 when we moved back to New Zealand.  That season there was 5m of snow at Whakapapa.  This weekend there was half that - 2.5m.  And it was fresh and such fun to ski on.  That extra snow hides all the sharp rocks and you can ski so much more terrain.

Friday Toby and I met Ilske after work at the Interislander terminal where we kept the Corolla for the weekend.  We transferred gear to Ilske's wee Jimny car and poor Toby could hardly move in the back seat.  But he didn't complain and we joined the slow traffic out of Wellington to head north.

Got to the lodge around 11pm, not long before Mike.  By the time I was ready to park, Mike was also ready.  So we walked up together to the lodge.  Found our room and I was asleep before hardly any time had passed.

Up late because  the weather wasn't great.  But I got into the lift queue and my season pass just worked.  Woot!

I skied by myself.  Waterfall express was open - but just that one and the new Rangatira express was open.  Couldn't see hardly a thing in front of me.  Whiteout the whole time.  A few runs weren't quite as murky and that was wonderful.  The snow was superb.

But, after another session where it clagged in again, I decided to join Mike for a hot chocolate break.  But it turns out the reason why I was skiing straight onto lifts was because everyone was in the cafe.  So after queuing for a bit, we decided to just head back to the lodge.

Mike and I brave the whiteout conditions

Toby braves the conditions to go sledding

He's spotted a great slope on the other side of this wee valley

I went sledding with Toby.  Wow - he really loves it.  He eventually convinced me to try it from his high point - with both of us in there.  And as we got in, I got really scared.  It was so steep and so high!  But Toby convinced me - with a kiss!  And I am so glad.  We hurtled off down the slope so fast!  It was such fun!

Next day was stunning.  I skied with Toby on Happy Valley and enjoyed that before it filled up with people.  Then when the big queue lessened, we joined that and skied Waterfall T.

Sunday was stunning

Mike eventually found us and we did a few runs together.  Toby got tired quickly after that so we skied back down.  Toby enjoyed Rockgarden.  The snow was lovely.


Car park view

Goodbye until next weekend


Ilske had had a bad day, with delays and then falling on ice and hurting her elbow.  But she managed to drive off the mountain and to Taihape before I took over.  Her wee car did great!

Back home at 7pm and I got some washing done before Mike got home.  An awesome weekend - and more of the same next weekend.

Right.  Time for tea.  Have a brilliant week!  in two weeks I will be in Japan!  Wow!

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment