Monday, May 21, 2012

The weekend with packed excitement

Hi,

I got home nice and early on Friday evening and grabbed Toby and some sparkling grape juice and we were off to Waikanae for dinner.  The traffic was okay - nothing worse than I was expecting and we were at our destination in 70 minutes.  Not too shabby.  I did sing a lot but Toby has been training himself to drown it out so he didn't care!  Hahahah.

Dinner was scrumptious as ever - spaghetti bolognese with lovely salad and bread.  Thank you Aidan and Josh.  And I caught up with a friend of theirs (Trav) as well.  We heard about his adventures living in Italy the past two years!

Toby and I drove back and Toby fell asleep on the way.  I suspect the cross country event that day at school had more to do with his tiredness.  He told me he did okay!

A slow lazy morning was followed by a frenetic rush to get the car to Abtec in Lower Hutt by 10am.  But we did it with minutes to spare.  The news that it would take about two hours to fix wasn't great.  So Toby and I wandered over to Lollipops playland (renamed Play!).  We looked down at his sandals with no socks and wondered if he would get in as you need socks to play.  Then Toby said I could use my socks - perfect solution.  I was proud of him and he said he wouldn't mind the pink socks!  Hahahah.  But then we found Lollipops/Play gutted and out of business.  Toby was disappointed.  But then he came up with another great idea.  The Lower Hutt library.  We used to go there a lot when we lived with Sally and Andrew.

We walked there in the freezing cold (and bought Mike's birthday present on the way) - Toby in his shorts and sandals.  Me in a t-shirt and hoody.  Brrrr.  But the library was warm and we read for a while.  Then we walked in the freezing cold, again, to Sally and Andrew's house where Toby lived on hot chocolate until he was warm.  Or possibly, for a little longer.  ;-)

We stayed for lunch and then Andrew dropped us back to collect the car.  We then drove to Miramar where Toby had a playdate with Sam from his class.  I had a cup of tea with Katy - Sam's mother and Helen - Sam's grandmother.  Then home to read for - oh - only 30 minutes.  Where had the time gone?  Back to Miramar to collect Toby for the Carter Observatory night.

We had tea (hotdogs) in the Wadestown Presbyterian church and then Brendan (neighbour) drove us to the observatory with Amelia.  The show in the planetarium was great!  The Dawn of the Space Age.  Marvellous.  Then we popped up to the telescope and saw Saturn high int he night sky.

Brendan dropped us home and I got out my old telescope and finally saw Saturn through there.  Not as crisp and clear as the big Cook telescope at the observatory.  But pretty happy.  Had a look at Mars then a bit of the coal sack area.

Brought the telescope inside and walked away from it and its tripod legs fell out from under it and it smashed onto our wooden floor.  Yikes!  Springs and all sorts fell out.  It may be irretrievably broken  now.  The viewfinder definitely.  Time to buy a new one!

To bed to watch a movie with Toby (Pirates of the Caribbean 4) and sleep.  Sunday morning was lazy again - I made pancakes and bacon for our breakfast.  Then off to Sally and Andrew's for lunch, followed by mountain biking at Makara.  Andrew was very kind - even when I rode so slow I made him fall off!  His front tyre also blew out at one point - that was amazing!  We rode up Koru, up Sally Alley and down Swigg.  Good fun and I want to go again.  Thanks Andrew!

Back to collect Toby and home to find Mike there from his weekend away!  What a nice surprise. 

The week begins!  The day is gorgeousness itself.  Cold though - I rode past parked cars covered in frost and my toes were cold and fingers throbbing when the blood came back.

Mike is driving Toby to school as the bus was broken!  Poor service there.  Not from Mike - from the bus company.

Have a great week.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment