Monday, January 12, 2015

The weekend with an awesome Tongariro Crossing

Hi,

What an incredible weekend.  We left work early on Friday and went to the Tabor house to collect Toby.  He was in the park so we drove around to the end of their street and collected him.  After a quick stop at home for his devices, we collected Vivienne from her house and we were off by 5pm.

We had a stop in Levin for groceries and a stop in Bulls for the best kebabs in the world according to Mike.
Kapiti Island looking stunning

Angela looking less than stunning, more like sleepy or startled

Mike got a migraine at Paraparaumu so I took over driving.  Poor Mike.  Poor Vivienne too as she had to listen to me singing all the way.  She was kind enough to call it an education.  But I think she'd rather have stayed ignorant of 99% of it.  She did perk up when Jethro Tull came on.

We got into the lodge just after 10pm.  Not too bad.  Unloaded, found a bed and I was asleep pretty fast.  Up early and breakfasted and away to collect Mary from the Chateau.

Mike dropped us off at the Mangetepopo end, and I went with Kirsty in her car.  There were 6 of us doing it.  Jo, Julie, Mary, Vivienne, Kirsty and me.  I work with Jo, Julie and Mary.  Kirsty was a Meetup ring-in and a jolly marvellous companion for our walk.

New signs since my last visit.  It was flashing green.

Ngauruhoe is an awesome backdrop

Up the devils staircase

Top of the devil's staircase

Love my shadow - and it has feet.

Selfie at the top of the Devils staircase

Selfie with Mary

Selfie in the red crater

All my selfie faces look the same.  I need lessons from Aidan or Andrew.  They have both perfected the selfie that doesn't look like a selfie.

Halfway up the next steep section

Almost up to the top of the walk

Julie has a V for victory

Lunch spot - awesome view, eh?

Jo had the comment of the day at lunch.  She pushed the sleeves of her t-shirt up and said she'd get a much better tan here because she was closer to the sun.

The weather was amazing.  Hardly any wind at all, and if we did feel it, it was a cool breeze that assisted us.

Selfie at the top with the crater behind me

There were loads of people doing the walk with us.  Probably close to 1000 people.  That is just a random guess.  But the scree slope held up quite a few of the walkers.  We passed two people going down on their bottoms.

Lake behind me

Selfie with the lakes

Selfie with Jo

Vivienne checks out where she's been

I found the last 3.5 km from Ketetahi Hut hard.  My boots were squashing my feet.  I did end up with a blister on one toe but it is the ball of my foot that hurts the most.  I need new boots.  My mission is to find a light tramping boot now.  Disappointed with these Hi-Tec ones.

Next time I am packing sneakers for the downhill part.  I did appreciate the boots in the scree though.

The end!
 We finished at 4.30pm.  Or was it 5pm.  Somewhere around there.  I do have the stats from my phone but unfortunately I forgot to turn it off when I got in the car so my top speed was 102 km/hr.  Hahahah.

Don't pay attention to the vertical blue line at the end.  Hahahah.



My feet the next morning.  Mt Taranaki poking out of the clouds in the far, far distance

However, I am not disappointed with my sandals.  And my nail polish stayed on through the hammering of 5 km of downhill walking.  That's good nail polish.

Close up of Mt Taranaki

Saturday night we popped into the pub after dropping Mary off at her car for her drive back to Taupo where her holiday is still going.  We ate there and went back tot he lodge and I was in bed as soon as possible,  Had the best sleep.

Up to tidy the next morning and away to Wellington.  We stopped at Brown Sugar Cafe in Taihape and had a great vegetable frittata.  Then stopped at Levin for a play in the adventure park.

Back home by 4pm and ironing and dinner sorted.  Toby walked to the dairy to get some milk for us.  Good kid.

My ride in this morning was god fun.  Dry roads.  My legs are reminding me that I did walk 20 km at the weekend though.  Oops.

Have a wonderful week.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment