Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Years was cancelled this year

One thing I've kept up since high school is having New Years in a different place every year, and being there to see the new year in.

Neither happened this year.  I'm asserting that there was no New Years in 2015.  If people can seamlessly move from being aged 39 to aged 31, why can't I do the same with New Years holidays?

It all started with my organising Open Lodge again this year.  The theory is that if we have a Lodge Leader at the WTMC lodge, then people can just turn up when they feel like it with no booking no hassle, which means summer use and PROFIT.  In practice you also need a Lodge Leader to be there.  Easier said than done.  A hole turned up on Dec 31, which was the most popular day of the year last year, so I felt obliged to fill it.  Angela and Toby were off to Sunshine Coast, I stayed behind to sort my Mum out, but she headed back to Dunedin early leaving me at a loose end.  So north I headed to provide cover and see the new year in.

I needn't have bothered.  In a delight of how sample sizes of one are not great for prediction, we had a total of six people in the lodge.  I got to hear how the club is run completely wrong and should be catering for people who were active members in the 1980s and refuse to use the internet and use club facilities regularly every 5 years, rather than being run for active members in the 2010s who actually go tramping, come to club nights and offer their services to make the club work.

Then somewhat bafflingly, everyone went to bed at 9pm.  I now had limited options.  I could sit up for three hours, staring at the walls with my no-mates just to be awake at 12am.  I could walk through the murky, swirling mist and soaking rain to my car, and drive down to the Tussock Pub to drink ginger beer, pretend I knew people, and half heartedly cheer as the clock ran over.  Or I could go to bed.

I chose the latter.  Far as I'm concerned I had no conscious sight of any time between 31/12/2014 21:00 and 1/1/2015 7:00 so those times did not happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment