Monday, May 16, 2016

The weekend of wonder in the Wairarapa

Hi,

Yep - I had a great weekend.  Let's see.  What happened again?  Benjamin had a significant birthday yesterday.  That is huge news!

Friday I went home after meeting Mike in the local pub to have drinks with Bronwyn to celebrate her birthday and her last day at work.  We sorted out dinner and then relaxed before going to sleep.

Saturday I was up early and showered just before Ilske arrived to take me on a road trip in her 4WD.  She has a Suzuki Jimny and we were going to have a great day.  Ilske had the picnic ingredients and the car all primed.  Her route went in from Pahiatua and took in waterfalls and gravel roads - and the sea.  You always need to see the sea, if you can.


Iced coffee at the Clareville Bakery

Ilske arrived not long after 8.30am and I jumped in her car.  We took off, heading over the hill in good time.  The wind had abated quite a bit for our drive over the hill.  As we got close to the Clareville Bakery, I realised I came away without my handbaglet.  So Ilske kindly paid for my iced coffee and pie.  Mmmmm.  I had been here once before and remembered it as having great food and a good iced coffee.  It did not disappoint.  And it is one thing off my recent list of things to do again.  So I was pleased.

From there we went up to Pahiatua and past Aidan and Malcom's old place on Keith's farm.  It looks pretty good actually.  Into the back roads and some lovely gravel.  I started driving and the rain started.  With a good dose of wind.

Lunch stop

We fell off the road we wanted - somehow and ended up having lunch on the side of the road in the car.  Ilske had made an awesome picnic.  She made quiches and pasta salad. It was good.  I had a Rooibos tea and yoghurt to finish.  Perfect!

From here we found the waterfall we wanted to see and it was well worth it.  Easy walk down to the pool at the bottom.  It looked like a great swimming hole for summer.

Waihi Falls - near Weber.  Selfie with Ilske behind me

Feet!

View of Waihi Falls

Me doing the Little Mermaid impersonation

Once we left here, we headed to the sea.  The coast was stunning here.  Never been here before - it was a bit north of Castlepoint.  Beautiful.  I have to take Mike and Toby here now.

The sea at Akitio

We headed back home and it was dark by the time Ilske dropped me home.  The boys had had a lazy day relaxing at home.

Off to bed to watch a movie.  I think I fell asleep or made Mike turn it off.  Hahahah.  Sunday we were up early for Eurovision goodness.  7am start until around 11am.  We both loved it.  Australia was by far the best song, but got pipped at the last post by Ukraine.  Which was actually a song Mike and I thought nothing much about.  Go figure!

From here we went to the gardens and met Christine and her friends for a wonderful picnic.  Gourmet!  The food was amazing!  Chatted away and Toby and Tom had fun together.

The boys climbing in the gardens


Coming back down

Off to Queensgate to get some messages done.  I grabbed a few groceries at Countdown so I didn't have to go out again later.

Back home and Mike cooked tea and then fell asleep at the dining table.  Just like we have seen Toby do once or twice when he was around 10 months old!  Hahahah.

Mike couldn't keep his eyes open so we went to bed super early and slept like the dead.  I got up for my run and enjoyed that.  Rode into work and the roads were dry and it's not too windy.  Really.  Honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment