Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The weekend in Blenheim

Hi,

 What a lovely weekend - I am always made to feel so welcome when I visit Iona and Col.  Everyone needs to have a place to visit that makes you feel so relaxed and safe.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Col collected me from the airport at 5pm.  Well, I think we landed at 6.47pm if my watch was correct.  Slightly ahead of time.  It was a little cloudy on the way over, but I got a reasonable view from my single seat.  The plane was full which was good to see.

Iona was home when we got home and we ate a yummy slow cooker dinner.  Mmmm. 

Awesome dinner

I stupidly read until 11.30pm in bed because I had to get up at 5am to join Iona at a special dawn service in Picton to unveil a new te pou for outside the library there.

Te pou is unveiled


The ceremony was great.  Short speeches in the library out of the cold and rain.  Then outside at 6.30am for the actual unveiling.   The pou was covered in cloth and a tarp - with specially tied ropes designed to magically pull off the covers with one tug.

The relentless rain must have made the ropes swell and tighten - so the coverings needed a lot of persuasion to fall gracefully to the ground.  Persuasion in the form of a knife and lots of ripping of the tarp.

The speeches were curtailed due to the crazy weather.  Lashing cold rain.  We all got the chance to touch the new pou and then back inside for some much needed kai and a cup of tea.

Kai time
Every bit of the yummy kai had meat though - so I went straight for dessert.  Hahah.  And the tea was superb.

Back to Blenheim and Col had a job interview and Iona and I walked into town to meet her at Herb and Olive afterwards.   It seemed to have gone well.  Yay.  Also met Mandy and we enjoyed... second breakfast?  No, wait.  My third breakfast?  Or - my first lunch?

Beaver friends

Herb and Olive - 5.5

Okay - Friday afternoon and evening is now some black hole.  I seriously need to blog as I go instead of waiting for the weekend to end.

Lucky I took pics.
Slightly cold walk - but it stayed dry.  Wairau Lagoon.
Bella gets some attention

We went to Wairau Lagoon for a walk, but Mike, Toby and Tessa made better time than we thought from Chc to Blenheim so we cut it short of getting to the wreck of the Waverley and headed back home.  Mike had just pulled up ahead of us.

They got to meet Bella (she got a lot of attention) and we played Bananagram.  Then they had to rush off at 5pm for their ferry crossing.



Taste test

Up after a lovely sleep.  Mmmmm.  And we had a blind taste test of a selection of iced coffees.

Fun with the iced coffees

Cheers
We may need to do it again next time as one of the drinks was a mocha and the chocolate threw me.  I think that one may have won in a straight contest.

As it was, I was surprised to pick the V as the best.

Weird, but true.

 Off to collect Sue from her caravan (I ducked my head in - it was small but perfectly fine) and off to Picton for a walk.

We walked to the old Picton dam.  It was a very pleasant, if damp, walk.  Then back to have a quick lunch in Picton.

Wait.  Let me guess.  Iona is making rabbit ears.

Back home to while away the time with more Bananagram.

Bananagram.  I was in the presence of experts.


Off to pick up Thai takeaways and then to visit Helen and Mandy.  Ideally we'd get their new telescope humming - but the rain foiled that notion.  The 'scope was so smart it knew there was no star in its sights.

But we watched the rugby (Hurricanes and Blues) and enjoyed the company and food.  And the Hurricanes won - so - yay!!

Their house is a mansion - very nice.  They seemed to have settled in very well.  :-)

Cats hog the warmth @ Helen and Mandy's house

Sunrise


Up early for trapline fun.  Sue drove us in her ute.  We met Jean and Allan there at 9.30am, and after an iced coffee (normal hot ones for the others) we were off.  Iona and I did the bottom traplines.  And Col and Sue did the high ones.

Pelorus cafe

Getting trap line gear ready

Pelorus with no one

Rat 1

Rat 2

Possum 1

Piece of... rat?

Delicate

The dream green team

Back to the cafe after the fun for another iced coffee and a bit of lunch.

Pelorus cafe iced latte top up
 Off to watch the rugby at Springlands pub.  I was sure the Highlanders were just there for show and the Chiefs were smashing them.  So I got to chatting to Sue.  She is amazing.  I could listen to her talk about the exciting things she has done for ages.  Police work (okay - some of that made an impact on me and no wonder she left to pursue career choices in the great outdoors and would love to work with animals) and the work with conservation.

Anyway, the Highlanders stormed back to win in extra time by 2 points.  Phew.  Talk about exciting stuff.

Back home for ... more Bananagram.    Then we made chocolate mousse using our avocados.  And dark chocolate.  It was good!

Avocado chocolate mousse

Monday morning saw Sue arriving with some coffee and we made a home made iced coffee.  Worked well.

Home made iced latte

Then headed to Noel Leeming to see if we could get a new phone for Sue.  Let me just say, ask for Curtis at Noel Leeming in Blenhein.  That young man was so lovely.  He chatted away with banter to these 3 old women - probably older than his mother.

After a few considerations, and a trip to 2degrees, we went back to Noel Leeming and bought a phone.  Had a quick lunch at The Little Cafe and then home to get Sue migrated from her iPhone5 to the Android universe.

Did it.  Mostly.  Took a wee while though.

Sue headed home to get ready for work and Iona got home.  We ate and played.... Bananagram.  Then they dropped me off at the airport.  I caught a smooth flight home, in the dark.  Met Mike at the airport and he took me home.  He had already bought groceries.  Yay.

Slept well - up for gym work.  Boxing.  my arms seem almost back to normal after being sore Sat, Sun and Mon.  Hahah.  Quentin killed them Thu morning last week.

Wet here.  Super wet.

Hope your week is a good one.

Love,
Angela

Contact register:

I zapped covid tracer app where I could

Fri Jul 17
ASB bank 9.45am
Paper Plus 10am
Bike shop 10.10am
Herb and Olive cafe 10.30am


Sat Jul 18

Thai takeaways ~ 6.30pm
Helen & Mandy's house for rugby 7-9pm

Sun Jul 19
All @ Pelorus cafe.  Jean and Allan too.  There twice.
Trapline
Col, Sue and me @ Springlands pub from 3.30pm for rugby

Mon Jul 20
Col @ her gym, Sue @ her gym
Iona @ her work
Angela @ Noel Leeming
Angela @ 2 degrees
Angela @ The Little Cafe
Angela @ Blenheim airport/WLG airport


Tues Jul 21
Angela & Mike 22 bus 6.16am
Angela & Mike to CityFitness Willis St 6.45 - 7.45am
Angela & Mike at work
Cats @ Helen and Mandy's house

No comments:

Post a Comment