Tuesday, October 11, 2022

A Tourist in Pokhara

11 Oct - Devis Falls, Tibetan Refugee Village, Mountain Museum

Up for breakfast feeling more peaky because of my cold [yes, foreshadowing, yet again]. Some dispute about breakfast place, Bharat wanted to move on to Rosemary's, others felt it was too far away. We stayed at Buddha Bakehouse on 7th St. It was okay. Their barista made up for much, carefully and laboriously turning out perfect coffee after perfect coffee.

Flexing

Then into a local bus, sadly not crowded and uncomfortable at all, and off to Devis Falls. My third (?) time there but still fun. I crushed people's wonder and sympathy by saying that the 'Swiss woman falling to her death in the 1960s' story was just legend [I can't find any actual citations to back that up now. Oh well. Do your own research] and flexed appropriately behind the 'strong man' body. Georgina and Nancy both noticed a store selling the brass dal bat bowls I wanted to I dutifully trotted off to buy some. Rs3000 (by weight). I offered Rs2500 thinking I was expected to haggle, which prompted a slightly tense discussion in Nepali between the storekeeper and Bechan and Expansion. I paid my Rs3000. The bowls are beautiful.

Next was the cave/temple structure on the other side of the road - the entrance was under construction last time I was here, now finished and beautiful. We descended into the gloom. The narrow passage to where the falls enter the cave was narrow, crowded and claustrophobic - Chenda bailed as we queued hunched over. The wait was worth it. The falls were beautiful and clearer of rubbish than when I last saw them. 

Then we proceeded to the Tibetan refugee village that is a short walk away. Their rugs are beautiful. Bring your credit card. Two dogs played outside.

So beautiful

So cheap

Now onto a local bus to the Mountain museum. Well, it turns out that the bus didn't go there but Bechan commandeered it! We first found the museum cafe, isolated from the museum itself, for lunch. (The whole site is huge and spread out, and it feels like there is some development plan that will happen one day.) I found a goat kid to play with. (Goats are great.) We would have spent a good 2-3 hours in the museum, it seems underwhelming but it's nonetheless fascinating and you can spend a long time there. The yeti is certainly always fun!

It's behind you!

Toilet signs were great

Back to our hotel in two taxis. I was impressed by how quiet and uneventful the drive was and how conservative/defensive our driver was. When we got out, Nancy said it was the most terrifying taxi ride she'd ever had.  We calmed her nerves at Med5 over the gelato she hadn't been able to have the night before.

Back in the hotel I did a bit of DIY. My wet stuff just wasn't drying, especially my boots and insoles. It's warm enough but I reckon the humidity must be in the 90's too. My heat pump didn't seem to be doing much so I checked the filters. Wow! Caked with a thick layer of years of dust. I cleaned them out best I could in the bathroom, making quite the mess as I did. That should help get my room humidity down (and make future guests' lives better too).

Amazing dinner at the local chinese place which gets rave (and justified) reviews. Yum. Power flickered off and on a few times and we were treated to fireworks as the lines wrapped around the power pole outside arced and shorted. It certainly didn't detract from the night.

Off to bed early again. Why am I so tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment