Friday, October 21, 2022

The Friday night where I fulfilled my calling

 What an amazing, fulfilling, actualising night out. I just sang a capella and got cheers.

It all started at the Dixon street kebab shop

Matt B took us there, and he promptly started banter with the 20 somethings who were waiting for their iskenders.

The topic of karaoke came up.

"So what karaoke would you do Mike? Pearl jam? Wonderwall?" Sigh. Never.

"Definitely anything by Jim Steinman," I replied.

Blank looks.

"You know! Meatloaf! Bonnie Tyler! Making love out of nothing at all, by air supply!"

More blank looks. Totally the wrong generation in this shop.

"What? Don't know it. You gotta sing it!"

OK now the pressure was on. My mind went blank. I can belt out the chorus of that Air Supply song, but I need to step back a few lines to sing a verse that built up to the chorus. WHAAAAA?

I couldn't do it. 

It was time for what I knew.

I cleared my throat

The screen door slams
Mary's dress sways

the kebab shop grew quiet

Like a vision she dances across the porch ... as the radio plays

the customers were entranced

Roy Orbison singing for the lonely. Hey that's ME! and I want you ONLY!

The song continued. I started to add grit and volume. The crowd swelled. I could see tears.

Show a little faith, there's magic in the night ...
... all the redemption I can offer girl is beneath this dirty hood... " 

knowing nods

.... ohhh thunder road, oh thunder road... ORDER FOR 94! 

The spell was broken. We all emerged from visions of turnpikes and first cars and true love and towns that didn't fit and angst and hard choices.

"That was incredible," said one girl.

Now this is the truly redeeming bit...

"I don't know that song but was it a Bruce Springsteen song?" said the 20-something boy.

"Yes, yes it was. Born To Run. 1978."

And my felafel kebab was ready.

Time to go.

Redeemed. And grounded.


1 comment:

  1. A belated comment from your mother - "Words fail me"

    ReplyDelete