Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The last day in Pokhara

12 Oct - Pokhara

I woke up sick and coughing, and decided that just staying in bed was the best plan. There was no pressing reason to get up.

So I missed the boat ride and walk to Peace Stupa overlooking Pokhara and Phewa Lake. Again. I'll get there one day.

Chenda came by and gave me books and throat lozenges and mints. Thanks so much, Chenda! 

I relaxed with Chenda's books and youtube on my phone. It was very pleasant. I heard the paragliders come back, chattering and absolutely buzzing about their rides. 

The store opposite our hotel, it has everything you could want

Around lunchtime I decided it was time to emerge. Our first proper sunny day since ... Chomrong? I left my still wet boots on the balcony to catch the rays and wandered into town.

The Boomerang bar/restaurant (with German cafe!) has a lovely garden area between the main street and the lakefront. I got myself Chili Chicken and espresso coffee and wrote up my diary and just enjoyed the peace and sunshine.



I wandered back to the hotel and who was there but Jimmy! He's a guide from past trips and a lovely man. So good to see him. He's the most senior person in his family now and that means he couldn't come with us - he had responsibilities during Dashain. 


Jenny returned too with stories of her own. She has a penchant for bikes and had rented what looked to me to be the oldest bike in the world. Still lovingly maintained and perfectly functional. She'd had a great time on it.


Dinner was at Fewa Paradise, right next door to Boomerang, along with a Nepali dance show. Mixed reviews. A few of our group really liked the show but for me, I now have a worse show to refer back to than the infamous Sentosa Island Dancing Maidens of 1996. The women were bored and sat about at the back chatting when they weren't performing. The men had made minimum effort, with black gowns but with Levis underneath. The sound system was disjointed and they made it up on the fly from a spotify playlist. Hilariously good fun. Trish and I drank the bar dry of Gurkha Craft (three bottles). 

Little known fact: denim jeans originated in a Nepali Hill tribe

Georgina is captivated

The food was okay though!

I was feeling much better now - I'm going to claim I'm over my cold now! I had my dancing shoes on and was keen to find some live music but alas I was the only one. The day ended relaxed and pleasant with beers on the roof with Alex, watching the Pokhara evening lights and the stars.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment