Thursday, October 6, 2022

Ki Garne?

What to do?

"I'm bailing." These were the first words I heard, from Atul, as the rain lashed down and the lightning flashed. Wet, windy and cold. We didn't hurry out of bed.

As folks trickled into the dining room, we talked through our options. Go on to ABC? Stay put and see what happens? Go back down? Consensus seemed to be around those last two options.

Expansion emerged. "Let's go back to Bamboo, and take the long way back via Tolka and Dhampus." The group were pretty happy with that, except for Georgina who was very keen to complete the mission; and Alex & Sarah who were happy to continue too. But it was going to be too complicated to split the group. Regretfully they joined us in the "down" plan.

At 9:20am there was still no sign of Bharat so I banged on his door. He blearily emerged. He and Bryan had slept through his alarm! 

He liked the "go down" plan.

So down we all went.



Retracing our steps, the crossings and the bridges were about the same as on the way up. Karna was happily helping us, balancing on rocks with the torrents swirling around him, in his t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. 



We stopped at Dovan for ... lunch or tea? Tea it was. I got cold during our regroup. Hmm, stopping to regroup 14 people is fun in nice weather but loses you body heat when it's lashing rain.   

We again passed the small shrine (I stopped again). A huge langur monkey swung through the trees above our heads as I contemplated the people no longer with us. Then the large shrine by the braided waterfall. As we descended the rain eased and the temperature rose. 



Raging. Look at the trees on the 'island' for scale.

When we reached Bamboo, our destination for the night, it took a long time for me to find the guesthouse. I was by myself and walked past guesthouse after guesthouse until I recognised packs and ponchos outside one near the bottom. Back to TV and maybe those delicious momo? Beers and raksie came out instead. Which was possibly unwise. Late lunch was noodle soup and potatoes and no momo. Still pretty good.

Even Earth-Sea-Sky parkas have their limitations

I don't know WHAT is going on here

Warm soup was went down well

Learning the language

We had been following a group of families from the local embassies - Americans, British and others, with little kids who happily played and chatted. A nice atmosphere in the dining room. Jenny got stuck in with them and soon had them playing games and doing stuff with her. 

After an early dinner of garlic soup and momo (yess!!!) I felt beat. I seem to be lacking in energy [don't make me mention the foreshadowing again]. Early night with no carousing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment