Thursday, October 13, 2022

Kathmandu King's Palace

13 Oct - Narayanhiti Palace (Kings Palace)

After a delicious Cafe Mitra lunch, a few of us trotted down to find the King's Palace. It was a really good experience. I think you shouldn't leave Kathmandu without going there, it's integral to Kathmandu and Nepal's history. So much has happened there that built the Nepal we see today.

No cameras allowed, this is the Wikipedia photo

Entering the Palace is quite the experience. Leave your mobiles and bags behind and bring a mask - masks are compulsory (in October 2022, best have one even if you don't need it) and all bags and mobile phones must be left behind in lockers. Getting in was confusing and chaotic, arriving prepared and organised would make everything easier. 

Admission was Rs1000 for foreigners.

Allow a good four hours to take in the Kings' Palace. Every time you think you've got to the end, there is another wing or another building to explore. 

A quick bit of homework, reading up on the storied history of the Royal Family from 1960 to 2001 would enhance the experience.

Definitely consider going to the Garden of Dreams after your Kings Palace excursion. It's a block away from the palace on the way back to Thamel. So much peace and beauty after the information overload of the Palace. (We didn't - but I've been there before and it would be a great bookend to the palace.)

We successfully navigated back from the Palace to Hotel Jumpa and then I went out for my next task - find Green Chili Sauce to take back with me. I did not succeed. And then I got comically lost on my way back (I'd only gone like a block from the hotel!). A painter pleasantly tried to sell me stuff but pointed me in the right direction back to the hotel which was good. I was still a bit confused but sighted Cafe Mitra and I had my bearings again!

I called past the Dangol Paper Shop and chatted to the owner again. It was good to see him. I bought photo frames and a notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment