Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Tuesday with Cubs

Hi,

Well, last night was a wee bit of pleasant weather amidst the general upheaval.  And thank goodness for that as we had twenty Cubs to take fishing.  The fishing expert (Pete Lamb) had recommended the beach tucked in under the northern end of the Wellington runway.  It was perfect for being out of the southerly.  Not quite so perfect for fishing amateurs like ourselves.

Toby used his fishing rod for the first time.  We have had it for about 4 years now and completely flummoxed as to what to do with it really.  The fishing chap sorted it out for us at the weekend and we stuck bait on it and away we went. Toby got some nibbles I think (maybe crabs - one of the Cubs caught a crab!).  He enjoyed it.  I had fun too.  No idea whatsoever.  But it was fun.  Mike organised it all and it went well.  Simon (other leader) loved it.  Jo (other new leader) looks like she is wondering why she ever volunteered to be a Cub leader.  I need to work on her to make sure she sees the good things!  She was freezing by the end of the evening.  She got my first cup of hot chocolate from my thermos.  Got to keep the leaders happy.

One Cub caught a proper fish!  And no one lost an eye!  So, I declare it a success.  Remind us never to do it again.  Hahahahah.  Toby lost his hook and sinker (fouled on the bottom somewhere - or a huge crab!) so we will buy another sinker (we have a hook) and wander down to a wharf somewhere to try our luck.  I think wharf fishing with one child will be conducive to reading my Kindle.  I could quite like fishing when presented like that!  I used to work with keen fishermen in Melbourne.  But I am quite sure the only reason they loved going fishing was so they could drink copious amounts of beer.  I think the only reason to go fishing would be to read copious amounts.  Same thing, surely.

Karate night tonight.  Mike will be rushing around sorting out Toby.  Fortunately I made enough dinner last night to cover them both tonight.  Apricot chicken.  Yum!

The ride in this morning was my first one with a layer of merino on over my t-shirt.  And it was toasty pie warm.  I am still in fingerless gloves (and bike shorts - but I wear bike shorts all year and never switch to anything warmer) so it can't be too cold as yet.  The roads were bone dry.  Such a lovely morning.  The sun was still behind the horizon/hills and the sky was a lovely deep blue above and bright orange to the east.  Nice.  And obviously that was what the morning runners all thought as they also ran around the waterfront in gaggles of joggers.  Four abreast?  Come on.  Are you chatting?  Run faster if you can chat!  Heheheh.  Good on them!

Okay.  I need a cup of tea.  Have a wonderful day.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment