Monday, October 21, 2013

The weekend with a cycling adventures in Taupo

Hi,

I had a great weekend!  Andrew is very kind and we decided to try the actual Taupo course with him slowing his pace considerably to accompany me.

We left on Friday night later than I usually leave (we left Wellington at 5pm, and Lower Hutt at 5.35pm) and I think it is way better than leaving at 4.30pm.  There was no traffic and we beat the 5.35pm Wellington to Waikanae train, passing it at Paekakariki after playing tag with it through from Pukerua Bay.  Never would have happened an hour earlier.  From now on, I suggest staying at work that extra hour and having a hassle free drive north.

We got into Turangi at about 10.15pm and settled into our room.  I didn't sleep really well but it was nice and quiet.  We got up early and ate breakfast.  I think I need to experiment with breakfasts on the day of a big ride.  Something I want to eat a lot of, and is good and filling.  Porridge maybe.  Anyhow, we packed up and drove to Taupo.  We left at about 8.30am from Taupo and immediately you're into the hilly part of the course.  The first 60km was hard work as it was all up and down.  The next 40km was more rolling and I enjoyed that more.  But I need to do a lot more work on hills as I was hopeless and it took me 6 hours to ride the 100km to Turangi.

I stopped there and Andrew rode like the madman he is to Taupo.  He was back before I knew it.  We then went and soaked int he hot pools and then grabbed chinese takeaway and sat by the Tongariro River in the setting sun.  Lovely.  T-shirt weather.

You can read about Andrew's version of the ride here:  Taupo ride

Next morning I slept in (well, not really) and Andrew left to head south on the Desert Road.  I decided to ride to Hatepe Hill (the only decent hill on the ride from Turangi to Taupo) anbd back.  Just over 60 km.  And it was a cracker day - I made good time.  Took me 12 minutes to climb the hill.  I got to the top in 1 hour 30 minutes.  Back in Turangi in 2 hours 40.  I even made scenic stops on the way back.

The volcanic plateau looked spectacular

Selfie

I got back to Turangi after only one magpie attack (and it never hit me).  Packed up the bike onto the car and leaded south after Andrew.  Filled up the car in Turangi and sang all the way, drinking iced coffee.  The weather was stunning and the views superb.  Eventually I found Andrew 13 km shy of Bulls.  His orange safety vest glowed from at least 3 km back!  Awesome vest!

Mother Goose cafe in Bulls - great iced coffee
We stopped in at Mother Goose in Bulls for a light lunch.  I tried their iced coffee and it was very good indeed.

Back down SH1 and over Haywards to Sally's place where she had prepared an awesome family meal.  Helen and Ron were away as Ron isn't feeling well.  So we chatted before I left and went home to get ready for the week.  Mike and Toby weren't too far behind me.

Mike and Toby had their own adventures.  Mike went to an 80s party.  As you do when your partner is away.  Ummmm.  Maybe?  And Toby had a sleepover.

Next weekend is a long weekend for us.  Labour Day.  Yay!

Have a great week!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment