Monday, November 4, 2013

The weekend in Waiheke that felt like a week

Hi,

What an amazing place Waiheke Island is.  Work had organised the social club big weekend away and the vote came down to a choice between Waiheke and Queenstown.  Whilst I only ever met people that said they voted for Queenstown, we went to the place I voted for.  Mainly because I had never been there.  Queenstown would have been good too - but I know it quite well.

We drove to Toby's school and collected him from the office and headed to the airport, beating most people there.  We checked in and had a spot of lunch.  Unfortunately a family of three on our trip misunderstood the check in process and missed getting their boarding passes.  So we were three down from the start.   As well as one staff member who seemed to have forgotten he'd booked a holiday to Samoa as that was where he was!

We landed in Auckland and met Hannah who took Toby off our hands.  She left as did we on the minivan to Britomart.  Had a lovely dinner at the Viaduct at Waterfront.

Onto the ferry at 7.15pm and we were in Waiheke by 8pm.  Onto the bus and around to the Kina Backpackers at Onetangi Beach and moving into our wee room by 9pm.  Our first room had no linen and Mike wandered out to check out the situation as we'd been told it was supplied.  Sure enough, the owner came in muttering unkind things about interlopers sleeping in the bed without paying and moved us to a new room, made up with sheets!  Choice.

Went for a long walk along the beach in the dark and it was lovely.  Chatted to Paddy most of the way.

Into bed and we tried to sleep in the single top bunk.  Well, Mike managed it and was soon fast sleep.  But I was unable to turn around and eventually poked him and asked him to move to the bottom bunk.  I then slept like a log!

Up to a lovely morning, that turned into a mostly sunny day.

Onetangi Beach by morning light

We had breakfast and then caught the bus to the Ostend market.  I had a croissant recommended to me by Becks and it was good!  Took a photo just for Sally as I think this is her favourite!

This was so scrumptious

Off to the wineries now and a walking tour between five wineries and a lot of wonderful food kept me happy.

Becks photobombs at Wild on Waiheke

Mike enjoying the beer at Stoneyridge

Wine tasting at Te Motu

Food at Stoneyridge - wonderful

The aftermath

Walking winery tour

Back at Onetangi Beach - whose is that gorgeous foot?

Selfie - Mike's long arms are so useful for selfies
My backpack was starting to get heavy with three bottles in it by the time we also went to Obsidian and Castillo Miro.  Five wineries and a little bit of sunburn for me.

Obsidian

Back to a read in the room before dinner at The Beach Front.  Wonderful dinner.  Home to bed!

Up Sunday and off for brunch to Charley Farleys and the best iced coffee I've had for a long time.  I must go back now!

Iced coffee heaven


Checked out of Kina

Caught the bus to the ferry, and Wally collected us from town and off to see their place.  The most relaxing afternoon chatting to them and seeing their new house.  Everyone is growing up.  They all looked wonderful and I miss them all over again now!  Toby had a ball at their place - I could tell.  And he is now officially back on meat.  The Sampsons cured him.  I think it was the bacon!  Hahahah.

The weekend felt like it was 5 days long.  Loved it and I can't wait to go back.  Awesome job work did organising it!

Have a great week!
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment