Monday, August 18, 2014

The weekend with fantastic skiing

Hi,

The weekend really starts on Friday, as we all know.  Friday lunch I met up with Aidan for our soup lunch across the road from her work.  I haven't had lunch there in ages.  Aidan was rather animated at one point as we consumed our soup, and a particularly emphasised aspirant consonant propelled a piece of her lunch from her mouth and hit me in the eye.  I think etiquette demands you ignore extraneous food for the most part.  However, getting hit in the eye is difficult to ignore, and it was obvious by the way I reacted by clasping at my eye and wiping out something.  She was mortified, but it quickly turned to helpless mirth and I collapsed in giggles.  Personally, I'd rather that food from someone else hit my eye than landed in my meal.  Good aiming, if you ask me.  Aidan was trying desperately to blame the aspirant consonant, and she was sure it was the letter "p" that did it.  But in-between her giggles, all she could say was "It was the "p".  And eating soup, I thought she was saying "It was the pea".  And I knew I didn't get hit with a pea.  I'd have a black eye if she'd spat a pea with that force at my eyeball!  So I was looking at her like she'd lost her marbles, while she kept repeating "It was the pea".  It didn't help that she had forgotten the word for a consonant that is explosive in its delivery and in-between telling me it was a pea, she was saying the word "percussive" over and over (knowing it wasn't quite right but repeating "percussive pea" wasn't making things clearer for me).  Interesting lunch!  One I will remember for quite a while.  And, oh look!  It's on the internet.  Preserved for ages.

Mike collected me from work at 4.30pm as he'd gone home sick.  But fortunately he came right over the weekend.  We had a lazy Burger Wisconsin dinner and watched The Blues Brothers.  One of Mike's favourite movies.  It was better than I recalled.

Slow start to Saturday.  But I got all the housework done!  Woot!  Laundry, ironing, shopping, cooking, luxing.  Yep - happy with that.  Toby did a lot of homework too.  We muddled through the day.  Emerson and Duncan arrived to sleepover at 4pm.  Juliette arrived to drop off the lawn mower.  We had a cup of tea.  Mike mowed our new lawn.  Looks great.  He also got stuck into some weeds.

I went to sleep early as I was getting up at 3.15am to get ready for skiing.  It went like clockwork - collected Andrew at 4.05am and we were on the mountain skiing by 9am.

Me in a small queue at Giant

It was such a beautiful day.  The mountain had received over a metre of snow since we were last up two weekends back.  And there was no wind and no clouds.  You can see Mt Taranaki on the horizon in the photo above.  Gorgeous!


Andrew at the top of the High Noon chair

Andrew and I skied all day.  We ate in the queues - they were really long.  Even the queue for the toilet was interminable.


Queue stretches out behind me

Andrew behind me in the queue

Google - what have you done to my photo!  Hahahah.  This is hilarious.

New socks for after the day's skiing.  Snug.
We left at 4.30pm and had a great drive home.  I dropped Andrew off at 8.30pm and was curled up in bed by 9.30pm and comatose shortly thereafter.

The ride into work this morning was wonderful!  Roads were dry.  Had a blast!

Have a marvellous week.  I'm off to a pub quiz tonight after work.  Woot!

Love,
Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment