Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The weekend that was long and labourous


Hi,

What an amazing weekend.  We left Wellington close to 6pm, but there was no traffic through the usual choke points.  Very odd, given it was the start of a long weekend.

Vanessa was joining us from the Chch office, so it was very exciting to show her the sights of SH1.  Mind you, it did get dark after a while, so we could only reassure her that there really was a giant carrot over there.  Or a giant gumboot.

We got to the lodge by 11pm and I was in bed not long after midnight, I guess.  Up to sunshine and a skifield that was open and ready to go.  Mike took off with his mates and I got Toby and Vanessa set up with skis and tickets.

We venture up to Knoll Ridge cafe to check snow conditions there
We did a few runs on Rockgarden in thick porridge before I convinced everyone to try the Turtle run off the Delta chair further up.  We stayed there most of the day.  Toby checked out more of the cafe than us though.


Next day was horrible, so we eventually prised ourselves out of the lodge (Mike was involved in a huge Phase 10 game) and drove to Tokaanu for a soak in the hot pools.  Checked out the wee walk next to the pools to see the natural springs.

Vanessa checks out a hot pool at Tokaanu

Back to the pub for a drink and the MotoGP was on the big screen.  Mike and I were very pleased.  In the evening I was convinced by Jo and Momo to join in some games.  Jenga is not my friend.  But "Linkee" - that was more my cup of tea.  A trivia game with four questions that are linked in some way.  Great fun!  I came second - to Mike!  My partner was Toby and we had a blast.  He left before the end and I inherited another partner - Tash.  Yep - all good fun.  I could buy that game.

Next day was awful - again.  No skiing to be had. In fact, it started sleeting.  Toby cleaned up like a machine!  Sreejith and I rode from Whakapapa village to Waiouru.  It took me 1 hour 40 to Ohakune.  And 1 hour 10 to Waiouru - that was only 27km but it was hard work.

I got divebombed by a magpie between Horopito and Ohakune.  Riding along at about 35km/hr and felt this boof on my helmet.  Saw the shadow of a magpie above my head and then 15 seconds later, felt it again!  Cheeky magpies.


I ride past the giant carrot in Ohakune

The drive home was in sunshine.  Mostly.  And we did manage to show Vanessa the giant gumboot in Taihape.  Woot!

We finally stop to pose by the big gumboot.
Mike and Toby check out another hot pool





I check out an iced coffee at Feliz.  Mmmm


Great weekend.  It's only a month to Round Taupo now.  Yikes!

Hope your weekend was good fun too.

Love,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment