Monday, October 16, 2017

The weekend tramping with Toby

Hi,

What a lovely weekend I had, off tramping with Toby.  Isaac arrived early Saturday morning at 9am and I popped out to grab food for our tramp.  We didn't get away until 10.45am.  And... we stopped at Maccas to get brekkie before the tramp.  Wainuiomata has awesome instant prizes in the monopoly game Maccas has. 

Sweet iced coffee at the Dowse - Bluebird I think it is called now

We started the tramp from Catchpool in glorious weather.  I walked there in my new tights, to trial them.  They worked well.  And I only wore a t-shirt.  Yep - lovely weather.  We got to the hut in a slow time - the boys chatted to each other the entire way.

I sat reading int he sunshine while they chopped down a dead tree.  With a blunt axe.  I was impressed with their perseverance.    They eventually chopped through it.  And...  it got stuck in the surrounding trees.  Oops.  there is a tree waiting to topple in the trees near the hut.  But not too near.



Hopeless at selfies - but I love this ferny dell



Me at Paua Hut

Selfie enjoying the view

Look!  Feet!

The boys negotiate the river crossings

What lovely feet!

Toby at The Tree

Feet in dappled sunlight with beech leaves

We were all in bed by 8pm after having a lovely relaxing evening eating pasta and burning our fingers.  Isaac on the fireplace while stoking it.  Me on the lighter trying to light a candle with no wick.

I kept waiting for the chopped tree to crash to the ground during the night because it was terrifically windy.  But in the morning, when I got up to go for a wee, the tree was still wedged.  As I got back into bed and read - it started pouring down with rain.

Eventually got out of bed and made brekkie.  We tidied up and left by 10am.  Oddly as soon as we broke out of the tree cover to the riverbed, the rain stopped.   The rain hadn't caused any rivers to rise so we made it back to the bridge just fine - although the river was colder than the day before.  Brrrr.  By the time we entered the track from the bridge, the sun came out and when I got to the car park, I was back in my t-shirt again.


Friday iced latte


Back to Catchpool by 12.20pm and I dropped Isaac and Toby off at Isaac's house.  Went back home and got changed before grabbing my bike from work and meeting Sally for a ride up the river with Mike.  We ate at the new cafe at the Dowse.  It was ok - I had a chicken and black bean wrap.  Quite expensive at $10 - Mike had one too.  And my iced coffee was a bit sweet. 

Anyway - the ride was good fun.  We enjoyed a cup of tea with Sally at her place after it all, and then home to coincide with Toby getting dropped off (by the other Sally).  Toby had enjoyed the jazz recital thing he went to with Isaac.  Awesome!  He got tramping and culture in his weekend.

I am off to see Roz after work today.  Woot!  She is in town for work and I get the pleasure of a catch up.  Choice.  Mike can cook Toby something scrumptious for tea.

This morning is lovely here once more.  Long may that continue.

Enjoy your weekend.  There are photos of Mike circulating on various social media wearing lederhosen at the Oktoberfest on Saturday night.  Avert your eyes!  Hahahah.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment