Monday, July 29, 2013

The weekend with tramping

Hi,

Friday night I nipped out to Miramar to collect Toby from his playdate with Sam.  He had enjoyed his time there.  We went back into Reading to meet Sally and go see The Lone Ranger.  Sally and Toby loved it.  I thought the lollies we bought to munch on were quite nice.

Dropped Sally off at home and off to bed.  Mike got home with Andrew quite late.  They had been visiting a farmshed somewhere to brew up beer.  I think they enjoyed it.

Up early to finish packing.  Then we all left to meet Aidan and the boys at the train station.  Well, more specifically, at the McDonalds next to the train station.  After a fix of Maccas, we were ready for the tramping.  Mike dropped Andrew off in the wee green car and I went to Catchpool with Aidan and the boys.  How Mike managed to beat me there, I do not know.

The weather was stunning.  Short and t-shirt tramping.  We walked in ahead of the 9 other younger children and had a quick lunch at Midway bridge before continuing on.
Posing at the tree - mandatory photo stop


The walk was fast and easy.  Before I knew it we were at Turere Lodge.  A contingent disappeared to the river to make dams and bridges.  Josh arrived a little later after doing some necessary work on his fantastic stand up paddle board.  We only beat him there by about 5 minutes.  We were checking out the view and pointing, as you do, when we heard Aidan laughing behind us.  Apparently we are notorious for pointing.  She thought it was a Gilbert trait she had captured once more.  To add to her collection of Gilberts pointing off into the distance.

Aidan snapped us checking out the view.  We didn't know she was there until we heard sniggering.  I'm glad she didn't send me the one of me touching Mike's bottom!  Seriously - I thought we were alone!
The boys outside the lodge recounting the epic walk in


We found our rooms and sorted out the communal food.  After settling in I asked Aidan if she'd like to manage the dinner prep.  She was legendary.  There were vege preppers, and stirrers (that was me!) and other billy pot choppers.  All co-ordinated to arrive with a steaming mass of food.  And dessert was scrumptious (which she had managed too).

We went for a quick walk in the gorgeous night - a bit of high cloud only detracted slightly from the spectacular night sky.  Saw two shooting stars.  Heard no kiwis.  I want a night time kiwi hunting expedition now.  Then, we all went to bed and all went to sleep.  I think I may have been asleep by 7.45pm.  Aidan says she read until 9.45pm.  I did wake when she finally went to sleep.  And Mike and I were sharing a bunk, so we had to roll over in unison.  He got fed up with it when I asked for the sleeping signals and mashed his face into the wall.  Well, actually, he bravely tolerated the face mashing until about 5.30am, and then left to sleep in the lounge.  That might have been one face plant too far.

Constanze thought we'd all gone for an amazing night time adventure lasting hours.  She had no idea we were all asleep in our room.  Too funny!

Sunday morning we were up early enough.  I like tramping with Tabors.  They eat things like bacon and eggs for breakfast.  Our Weetbix never got touched.  I had egg cracked into a piece of bread.  What did Aidan call it?  Egg in a frame?  Anyhow - it was yummy.  Flashbacks to a Kea sleepover a few years ago now where Aidan introduced me to this concept.

Cleaned up and off back home.  The walk back was lovely too.

The only hill - and it's short!


Posing tree on the way back

Nice looking swimming hole - lovely
Back to grab a pie from the best pie shop in Lower Hutt (thanks to Rex for discovering that one) and back to Sally and Andrew's to eat it.  They rushed off to a movie (well, Sally, Mike and Toby went - Pacific Rim - ask them how it was).  I went home to get clean and do some chores.  Then back to eat dinner with them all.  That was lovely too.

So, all in all, an awesome weekend.  9.5 out of 10 I gave it when Toby asked for a rating.  Not too shabby, eh?

Up in Auckland for work till late Wednesday.  Keeping me busy.  Seeing Roz tonight (and tomorrow if I can convince her to come over to the north shore again).  She's promised me a Mexican dinner somewhere here.

Have a wonderful week.
Love,
Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment