Friday, October 3, 2014

The amazing day

Day 8 - Jhinu Danda-Tolka


Amazing day. Did I use 'amazing' before? I didn't mean it then.

5:30am watched sunrise over the mountains. Clear and beautiful.

6:30am memorial service for my Dad. Wrenchingly beautiful. Incense, Khata, Waiata, Gaelic lament, all with indescribable environment watching on.

Talked to Angela, Vivienne, Mum. Broke Mum up when I described the morning.

An easy hiking day today. Down, down, down to a suspension bridge then followed beautiful river bouncing over rocks and down waterfalls.






Some grassy areas like Totara Flats. Most New Zealand-like scenery of the trip so far. End of festival meant everyone in their finest, and one couple I assumed were Chinese, turned out to be Nepalis coming home for festival. Their completely western clothes contrasted vividly with the 'local' dress.

At Tolka we were going to build a cairn for my Dad. But not a small pile of stones like I thought. The porters, with Jimmy and Expansion as foremen, constructed a large monument from huge river rocks. They will visit it and tend to it as they pass through. Very, very special. In my mind, my Dad is here, in the shadow of Annapurna South.







I'm with a wonderful group of people here, both Nepali and Kiwi. I've maybe made new lifelong friends. And returning is not optional now.

After dinner (involving more green chilies) the porters played music and danced. Was SO much fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment