Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The worst news

Day 6 - Gorepani (2785m)-Poon Hill (3210m)-Tadepani (2630m)




Up very early to get to the top of Poon Hill by sunrise. On the trail by 5am. Fast pace in the dark up fairly steep steps. Too fast for me! Slowly dropped back. The sky gradually lightened. Reached transmission tower 'false summit' and thought just 5 minutes more. Actually 20 min more. Plodding. VERY HARD. But made it in time to see sunrise with about 200 other tourists. Amazing - and the perpetual overcast thinned out, just in time. First sight of real mountains. Clouds blowing in and out.



The sky starts to brighten

The sun rises slowly over the lower hills

Kevin played his trumpet to the delight of everyone.

Graham, Margaret, Jimmy, Hazel, Ali and Expansion look at me, the crowds look at the mountains.

As the sun rose the clouds scudded away

Expansion, Sagar, Nim, Dinesh, Karna and Jimmy
Yup I was there
Back down a wee bit too early - could have spent the day there! Yummy breakfast of omelette, hash, red onion.
My room (that I shared with Pete)

Out the window

Then off. Up. Legs really feeling it. Up to saddle, along ridge, back down to tea stop. Very commercial here.
No, thank YOU Gorepani.

Hot but crisp.

Followed a wonderful stream down, with waterfalls, cairns, Langur monkeys. Hydro system generating power for the villages.


We picked up a dog for the day

Happy dog


This cute shed is a hydro station

Feet shot for Angela

Last part of day was down and then back up the other side of a steep river gorge. Real struggle for me. Plodding along with eye on altimeter watch and setting short term goals. "50m vertical and I can rest" - that sort of thing. Finally got close to Tadipani to see Hazel merrily coming down the hill because she still wanted to burn off excess energy.

Tadepani is the highlight of the trip so far. High, with views of Annapurna South and Machapuchare (Fishtail). Cloud blowing through but clearer than Poon Hill. Big crossroads with lots of friendly people.
Annapurna South and Hiunchuli from Tadepani

We're all taking photos!

Fired up my phone. To get the terrible news that my Dad had died.

I love the people I'm with. They looked after me wonderfully. Got me talking about his life, the good times.

Rang Angela which was really good help. So good to hear her voice.

Wrote eulogy of sorts for Toby to read at Dad's funeral and sent via one big text message.

Ended up at the only place with reception - outside on a completely clear night with stars and mountains lit by moonlight. Can't describe the feelings it created.



I got the news on a clear, fine evening watching clouds veil and unveil the Annapurna mountains towering 8000m above me.

I realise that I'm here, ten thousand kilometres away because of the love of the wilderness, the mountains, the out of the way places that my Dad instilled in me. And that I hope I'm instilling in my son.

To my Mum: you're strong, you're resilient but you don't take help easily. Let us help and let yourself grieve.

To Vivienne and Sally: look after each other. Look after our mum. It makes it slightly, only slightly less grievous that I can't be here to know you can do that.

To Toby: Remember the time you got to spend with your granddad. It's up to you and me together to do the things that would honour him.

Nepal is infused with spiritualism as a way of life. The Nepali people that are with me are honouring Dad for me in their way at the same time as you are.

There is love, and peace, and remembrance for my Dad here in Nepal as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment