Monday, October 13, 2014

The weekend with so much amazing stuff

Hi,

I cannot do justice to the amount of amazingness over this weekend.  But, let me try and remember all the things I did.

Friday afternoon Toby took the bus back from the zoo to Aunty Sally's work and they went home on the train to Sally's place.  Sally was looking after Toby for the weekend - and had to chauffeur Toby around to various social engagements, or host them herself.  She did a wonderful job!

Meanwhile I left work and drove to the airport to collect Aidan from her Auckland flight.  We had dinner and tickets for WoW booked ages back (I bought the WoW tickets in February).  This is WoW for those outside of Wellington:  World of Wearable Art  I was a bit late getting to the airport - I underestimated the traffic.  But Aidan was grabbing her bag and exiting the terminal as I drove slowly past.  I guess you could argue that was perfect timing!

We parked in town and went to Chow for dinner.  I had received sad news that our old manager in London (and friend), Lloyd, had died.  Aidan bravely said she'd have his favourite drink to remember him.  Lloyd was fond of bourbon, so Aidan bravely washed that down during our meal.  


Bourbon for Lloyd

Lonely Mule for me



We walked back to TSB Arena for the show and found our seats pretty quickly.  The show was indeed spectacular.  Two hours long and no intermission.  I must admit to dozing a little from time to time.  It was so warm, and dark.  The only time it might have been longer than a few seconds was when I opened my eyes was was surprised to see the stage had changed so much from my last view.  But with their seamless stage production, that might really have only been a few seconds.  It was so well managed.

I dropped Aidan off home and went home to finish packing for my weekend and jump back in the car to head to Turangi for my work conference.  I filled the car and left bang on midnight. The drive up w was actually pretty hard. By Waikanae I was pretty tired. And that was only 45 minutes up the road.  Oops. But I didn't fall off the road, so that's good. I bought an iced coffee at Sanson and the walk did wonders. I was alert until after Hunterville.  Then I filled up again at Taihape so I got another walk. Also took a toilet stop. Fortunately the desert road was so thick with fog that I had to go really slow because I couldn't see anything.  Going slow meant concentrating.  Made it through there.


I got to the accommodation place at 4 a.m. But I couldn't rouse anyone out of bed. And I couldn't find villa eleven (my allocated villa). I found one to ten. And twelve. So I gave up and climbed into the back seat and was asleep in seconds.  Slept well curled up under my sleeping bag. Thank you to Aidan for reminding me I should throw it in.  Found the villa at 7 a.m. and got a shower. All good.

The conference was really good.  A chance to meet people I never see face to face and talk about things that we could change for the better at work.  A marvellous idea.  

Sunday was lovely and I drove Maryanne to Whakapapa so she could join her family for a ski.  Then I drove back to Wellington, singing all the way.  Followed Sally up the hill to Jacob's house where Toby was playing.  Had a cup of tea at our place and then went to the airport to collect Mike!  Toby and I were so excited (Sally played it cool, as ever, but I think she was keen to see him too).  We lurked around his gate and then spotted him coming out.  We were all over him!

Mike coming off the plane

So nice to have him back.  We said hello to various people from his party of travellers and then ushered him to the car and took him home.  We chatted away and did things we enjoyed with him.

Back to normal routine this morning.  Well, for me.  Mike has a day off to recover.

Have a wonderful week.

Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment