Monday, May 27, 2013

The weekend with cultural highs

Hi,

What a great weekend.  Do I say that every Monday morning?  I rode home on Friday and collected Toby and cooked a lovely dinner of tacos.  We promptly watched Wreck It Ralph and ate the whole lot.  I think I ate more than Toby - but only just!  The movie wasn't too bad - Toby loves it.

Eventually we went to sleep - but then Mike came home just as we were nodding off really.  And he was indeed very merry.  His antics involved falling asleep fully clothed on his side of the bed and drooling over his sheets (not my side fortunately), getting up to shout at the toilet, deciding the heated tiles in the bathroom were very inviting, and singing one of his favourite songs from the eighties to us.  Toby and I were giggling at his harmless, good-natured antics.  Eventually we all went to sleep in our bed.  I am not doing that again.  The boys seem to ooze out over the whole bed and I am left with a wee sliver.  Consequently I had an awful sleep.

Anyhow, up in the morning at a vaguely respectable time.  Off to the African festival via Adam's house.  The festival was a little low key - but maybe we were there during a hiatus in action.  The Ethiopian food was scrumptious.  Bet Dad wishes he was there for it.  He'd have flashbacks to the restaurant in Finsbury Park.

Off home via the supermarket for provisions for Saturday night.  Up to Waikanae for some cooking homemade pizzas (even the dough from  scratch - yummo) and watching Eurovision.  Josh was away at a Scout training session for the weekend.  Aidan was working hard to meet a deadline for her work (turns out she worked 40 hours in the last 4 days - and did the usual running of the household).  So Mike and I cooked most of the dinner with supervision from Aidan when we looked dangerous.  The boys played Minecraft - Lex was there when we arrived so they had a ball.

Mike and Angela using The Stove of Death and Destruction!  Note how carefully we're watching.  It needs it!


Mike and I watched Eurovision on Josh's laptop (thanks, Matt - he provided the file - a final in Swedish - made it even better I think!) and giggled our way to the end.  Love Eurovision!  Next year, party at our place on the big screen!  Come on - you know you want to!  What a great cultural experience.  This is something Europe can share with the world and serve to make a more level playing field!  Honest.  The diplomatic possibilities are endless.  Just check out the Swedish host - she was amazing!  And Mike and I were astounded to see Bonnie Tyler as the British entry.  Wow!

Mike and I slept on the floor in the lounge.  Bit hard on the carpet - but okay.  I can't be too old just yet then.  Up early with Lulu (well, 1.30am to let her out and then I had to stay at the door to let her back in, so I dozed on the mat) especially at 5.30am when she dropped her squeaky toy in my face when Toby said "Drop it, Lulu!".  Such an obedient dog!

Up to cook breakfast.  Right.  Aidan still flat out with work meant we were in charge of the stove.  The big element has one setting - nuclear!  A few burnt pancakes before we realised when Aidan said it had to be on Lo it really meant off.  So Mike got to grips with the stovetop and wrestled some yummy pancakes out of it. I charred some bacon and sausages and we ate well.

I rushed into the shower and Mike and Aidan wisely decided Aidan couldn't make the Yum Cha.  So we left Toby there to play with the boys and Mike and I drove back for Yum Cha.  It was very nice, thank you.  Yummy.

Yum Cha
 Off to Joe's afterwards for an iced coffee.  Heavenly for me.
Iced coffee at Joe's
 Back home for a quick session on the piano with Mike and his mother.  Mike wants to learn a song with Toby that Mike likes.
Smalltown boy piano lessons
 I dropped Mike's mother home and then headed back to Waikanae to collect Toby.  We went for a walk when I got there along the river.  Such a nice walk.  And because Aidan had finally finished and met her deadline, I got to chat to her.  Yay!
River walk

Fetch, Lulu!  And get clean while you're there.
Back home for a cup of tea and then the drive back to Wellington.  Mike had tidied up outside under the deck when I got home - and he hung the television downstairs on the wall!  It looks great!  Now we have other plans for some decluttering.  And painting our wardrobe doors - and the deck!  This coming weekend is a long weekend.  Maybe!

The ride in this morning was awful!  So windy and threatening rain!  Wild and woolly.  What fun!

Andrew had an amazing weekend.  Have a read here.  Makes me want to go tramping.  But not with him.  He's a machine!

Have a wonderful week ahead.  I have my dental appointment today. Yikes!

Love,
Angela



1 comment:

  1. You RODE in this?? It's sleeting here. Or it was. Now it's getting sunny.

    ReplyDelete